Cultivated Reef

MH or T5 fixture

Reef_Addiction

Reef_Addiction

Hi all, I wanted to get all of your opinion on which light fixture I should get for my 30g finnex m tank. I will be keeping a little bit of everything, SPS, LPS, Zoa, and thats about it. Right now I'm leaning towards a MH fixture, really cant afford a LED fixture, so what do you all recommend or prefer from experience. Please let me know, I would like to see both sides to make my decision easier. Thanks in advance!

Niño

I have a metal halide 175w that I run 20k double endeds on but use it to light the terrarium and side plants...its steroids for the terrarium and plants. its superior to any light Ive ever used on a planted tank.

If you shined it on a smaller reef tank like yours, spaced as high as needed to avoid heat but still get that microwave zap, its steroids for a reef that has proper calcium/alk and feed. it will beat any other light in coral stimulation in my opinion currently.

led's are great I see them work on many tanks just not all. Mh's when heat managed work on all reefs, so they keep winning me over.

im pretty much sold on par38's working well on pico reefs, now there are several over a year old and this is great to see. on a tank the size of yours id still do mh because that old school intensity is very predictable

Archived