Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weird Clownfish behavior

mlglunchbox

I have a pair of Piscasso Clownfish which I bought from my LFS a few months ago. They are both doing very well, but at time the bigger one charges the smaller one and is quite aggressive towards the smaller one. The smaller one will sometimes begin to shake rapidly when this happens and once the bigger one stops being aggressive, they both go back to normal. Im guessing that the bigger of the two is establishing her dominance but it just seems like rather odd behavior. Anyone else had any experience with their fish doing this?

qwiksilver711
I have a pair of Piscasso Clownfish which I bought from my LFS a few months ago. They are both doing very well, but at time the bigger one charges the smaller one and is quite aggressive towards the smaller one. The smaller one will sometimes begin to shake rapidly when this happens and once the bigger one stops being aggressive, they both go back to normal. Im guessing that the bigger of the two is establishing her dominance but it just seems like rather odd behavior. Anyone else had any experience with their fish doing this?

my two clowns do the same thing, the shuddering is the small one submitting to the larger one...

That little vibration "dance" is accustom to only Amphiprion and Premnus species. It is their way of establishing dominance. The one vibrating will become (if he isn't already) the male and the one charging him will be the female. :)

...read before you buy.

The larger one should turn into the female, communication, etc..

Or the big one will kill the little one.

That little vibration "dance" is accustom to only Amphiprion and Premnus species.

I disagree... My 6 line and clown do it all the time. Same as my two clowns did to each other (before I replaced one).

I've seen other 6 lines, not in my tank, do it as well.

Archived