Cultivated Reef

GLASSCAGES.COM?

JayEeeTeeEss

I am moving and want to start up a new 60 gal cube and don't have as much cash as I'd like to. I was looking on glasscages.com and the prices seem to be pretty good. I talked to one guy and he said that the workmanship is poor and that I shouldn't get a tank from there, however he has been wrong in the past. Does anyone have any experience with glasscages.com? Any input (good or bad) will be awesome.

Are there any good quality, lower priced glass reef ready 60 gal cubes that anyone can recommend if glasscages.com is not that good?

I am moving and want to start up a new 60 gal cube and don't have as much cash as I'd like to. I was looking on glasscages.com and the prices seem to be pretty good. I talked to one guy and he said that the workmanship is poor and that I shouldn't get a tank from there, however he has been wrong in the past. Does anyone have any experience with glasscages.com? Any input (good or bad) will be awesome.

Are there any good quality, lower priced glass reef ready 60 gal cubes that anyone can recommend if glasscages.com is not that good?

I have read some pretty negative reviews of them on this forum, but have never purchased anything myself.

Is there a local LFS that can ordr something for you?

My LFS orders from someone else, and the prices were comparable to glass-cages except that I don't have to pay shipping.

I own one, it's the shallow one in my signature. I had a lot of problems with the design.

There silicone work is definitely sloppy. You can clean some of it up w/ a razer but not all of it....I would not suggest going bare bottom on their rimless tanks because the eurobracing is done extremely extremely sloppy.I needed a nice sandbed to cover it.

They don't choose perfect panes of glass, The top of one of my panes of glass is chipped. Not horribly but definitely not acceptable if you ask me. They should have seen it and just re cut and used it for a different build. You definitely need to stay on top of there work. I feel they will use stuff just laying around to cut on costs.

For the overflow They made the holes 1" and 2" instead of 1/2" and 1". They made the overflow dimensions huge and the weirs were not cut properly and forced the waterline to be 1 cm from the top rim.

I had to make the make the bottom of the weirs lower and make them wire for the system to run correctly.

The person I bought the tank from should have never accepted this.

The tanks are built very strong. I would still own another one just stay on top of them to make sure it was done the right way and the way I want and not accept anything crappy. I didn't deal with them direct but there are similar stories out there.

Jonny

That BBB rating seems weak.....they say they got a good score not really for being a good company....but because of a lack of complaints relevant to company size and also simply because the BBB has info on the company.....

Since when is having relevant company data a good indicator of quality or service.....

I have only heard and seen horrible work from them. If you want to see with your own eyes, do a search on google for "XXXXX sucks". Works for any company. You will see photos that will haunt your dreams ;)

Edit: Replace the XXXX with words. Hahahahaha......I do not even want to imagine what "XXXXX sucks" would bring up. Hahahaha!

I had read stuff on other forums, but was hoping it wasn't as bad as people are saying. I do have an LFS that will order tanks, but I don't know how much its going to be. I would hold off on setting up a tank until I had enough money for a better system, but I'm moving from NY to MA and want to keep a bunch of my corals so I'd need to set something up right away.

(Look for the moving questions thread to come in the future)

I typed in XXXX sucks and my work computer just blew up and the network went down :(

glad i read this.. i have been talking to them via email about having a 8ft shallow tank made.. the price was nice.. $1000 for a rimless in 3/4" and only $150 to meet them an hour away for pickup.

who is reputable? for building a larger tank rimless (8ftx2ftx15")

i called a local glass shop two days ago and they said 1050 for just the glass

3/4in sides and 1/2 tempered bottom.

I have to make another call though cause i know a guy who i helped out alot that works for a glass company.. so he might be able to hook me up :)

okay.. i just called him.. he was installing but said he would call me back with a price :)

hopefully he can get me a good score. i hear glass markup is huge :-P

Have you thought about having the glass cut and building it yourself? Easier than you think.

Hadn't really thought about it, but I don't know if willing to risk me f'ng it up and ruining my girlfriend new condo.

Don't do it bro. Don't do it. Jonny roks has my old tank and i completely agree with him. I should have never accepted it, but i had already payed for it. No refunds. They also make you meet them in shady areas like middle of nowhere gas stations, etc.. Just don't do it.. Tbh, their prices are too high for the quality your getting. I paid 374$ for that tank and it should have been $100 120 at the most. Worst decision i ever made. :'(

How about a marineland cube? They are bound to be your cheapest bet vs anything custom made and come in RR or regular versions. Personally I think their overflow system isnt the greatest and would slap a galss-holes box on instead, but I have one and the build quality is fine

I didn't bother to read any replies. I already know. Everyone said don't. They say this for a reason.

I won't go into the details, but I had 240 gallons of water ruin my house because of Glass cages. He also goes by a few other names. The only one I happen to remember is Twin Oaks, or something like that.

STAY THE #### AWAY!

I have been looking into marineland 60 gal and 45 gal cubes, but have heard there are issues with the way the overflow is setup. Anyone hear of that being an issue?

Ray sorry to hear about he damage. I think in the event of a failure or any kind would result in major issues, the chance that something might happen has deterred me from the glasscages route. Although I'm sure a lot of people have great experiences with GC, I can't risk it.

I have been looking into marineland 60 gal and 45 gal cubes, but have heard there are issues with the way the overflow is setup. Anyone hear of that being an issue?

Ray sorry to hear about he damage. I think in the event of a failure or any kind would result in major issues, the chance that something might happen has deterred me from the glasscages route. Although I'm sure a lot of people have great experiences with GC, I can't risk it.

I think the issue with the overflow is the that return line is drilled directly below the drain, so you either have to back it from the wall far enough to overlap the lines, or you have to angle the drain and lose some drain power

Is there a reef shop nearby that will drill the tank for you? I got the 'non reef ready' version and put a 300gph glass-holes overflow box on mine and couldnt be happier

I have friends that have drilled tanks before so i could probably have one of them help out with it. What size marineland cube do you have and also what size sump?

I have the 45 cube. Unfortunately its coming down due to my work schedule but I love the tank.

Sump is a 12 gallon acrylic I got on ebay. Its the same as a 10g but taller. I was worried about backflow when the pwoer cut out, but turns out a 10 gallon would have been good enough anyway.

If you have the cash to burn and do decide to go custom, go with Miracles in Toronto. Their tanks are top notch and shipping shouldnt kill you since you are in NY

glad i read this.. i have been talking to them via email about having a 8ft shallow tank made.. the price was nice.. $1000 for a rimless in 3/4" and only $150 to meet them an hour away for pickup.

who is reputable? for building a larger tank rimless (8ftx2ftx15")

wait so they were going to charge you 150 for pickup? confused..

Archived