inTank Media Baskets

too quick of a cycle

smorrismi

Ok... started a pico 3G last week... used Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand. I've never used the stuff before. I also seeded the tank with 2 larger sized pieces of LR from my other tank and put rubble in the back. Now I'm showing 2.0 on the ammonia scale??? Isn't that too soon for a cycle or is it because the tank is so small... or is it from the live sand???

I'm somewhat experienced with the cycle process, but there's no mistaking these readings... I also took it twice to be sure.

Here's a pic of the tank and the ammonia reading.

post-48860-1297179034_thumb.jpg

post-48860-1297179043_thumb.jpg

Ok... started a pico 3G last week... used Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand. I've never used the stuff before. I also seeded the tank with 2 larger sized pieces of LR from my other tank and put rubble in the back. Now I'm showing 2.0 on the ammonia scale??? Isn't that too soon for a cycle or is it because the tank is so small... or is it from the live sand???

I'm somewhat experienced with the cycle process, but there's no mistaking these readings... I also took it twice to be sure.

Here's a pic of the tank and the ammonia reading.

I would not say its "too" quick to cycle. Just take it slow, and realize that it is not really established for a FULL bioload :)

There could be some die off from the live rock you added from the other tank, as your water parameters in the new tank are not yet stable enough to support whatever life was on it.

If you used good sand and rock with no die off you could see no cycle. What do you mean by too quick? If you're showing ammonia, it's not done yet..

If you used good sand and rock with no die off you could see no cycle. What do you mean by too quick? If you're showing ammonia, it's not done yet..

I meant too quick for the ammonia to show, I know that it will flip eventually, I was just shocked to see ammonia so quickly.

HecticDialectics

My guess would be on either the live sand or something died in the live rock you transferred.

Either way, it's really not "too quick"... it is what it is. You have high ammonia. It's cycling. :D

Archived