Cultivated Reef

70 Rimless Anemone Tank

TheWAND

Man, those Picasso's are sweet!

For flow, I would probably do 2x tunze + one MP40, maybe add another mp10/40 in the future if you are going sps dominant. By the way, how do you like the tunze silence?

Tunze silence pump is pretty quiet, but took a couple weeks to be completely quiet, no way I can hear it over the mj1200 running my brs media reactors. Really nice to be able to dial it down without ball valves. I feel like it was really made to run nano closed loops, where you could have 1 or 2 alternating creating a wave with no in-tank footprint.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a new update. It's a major one too! Went fishing today, in a few stores and came back with a few prizes. First purchase was a lamarck's angel from Coral Collection which I unfortunately do not have a picture of yet accounting to its hiding as soon it was put in the tank. I also purchased 10 green reef chromis which are swimming about in their little fish ways. But the best find I think was a nice RBTA that I got at a great price, considering its color and size, since sizable ones are so hard to find with all of the propagation going on. Anyways, here are the pictures.

A few of the chromis hanging with the clowns when I started taking pictures.

friends.jpg

Best shot of the chromis with the quick photoshoot I had.

chromis.jpg

The BTA

rbta.jpg

And a new FTS

fts-1.jpg

Somehow chaeto got into the display from the sump and attached to that front rock so I ended up removing the rock after this shoot after countless tries removing it from the rock, it never seems to go away. And as I'm writing this, the lamarcks angel is out swimming during the lights out, just my luck. All the acrylic is getting covered with coralline, which is fine for now, didn't really want to put in the effort to clean it for a quick photo shoot. Another note, phosban sucks compared to rowa phos. I found some lying around and decided to use it all up, which I won't now, because all it does is clump up and clog the reactors. Back to rowa phos it is...

SouthFlorida_Tron

weird, my phosban is awesome, but i just have some in a bag, and it raped the phosphates when i did have some...

do you by chance have a mandarin?

weird, my phosban is awesome, but i just have some in a bag, and it raped the phosphates when i did have some...

do you by chance have a mandarin?

No mandarin. It wouldn't last a day with the hadonni. I know I planned sps but this tank will probably end with mostly anemones as I now want to find a nice magnifica. Anemones and clownfish are an obsession. I think I need help :(.

The rbta has decided to settle (for now) in a crevice with its tentacles out exactly where I placed it. Very excited about this because it looks like how I would see a bta in the wild.

Also, pretty sure one of the chromis met his/her maker last night in the form of a big blue hadonni.

Here's the bta as it stands, in a horrible to photograph place, but it's quite picturesque in person.

bta.jpg

Decent new shot of a few chromis, fish I will love forever.

chromis-1.jpg

The Lamarck's angel was out today.

lamarck.jpg

And the tank as it is right now.

fts-2.jpg

One of the clowns has made it into the blue hadonni as of today. Really excited about this, but the other is still swimming around the tank.

Beautiful BTA are you planning on getting anything that may host it?

Other than the clowns I already have, I don't think I'm getting anything else for the anemones. They've seemed to have settled in to the hadonni which I don't blame them for. Sometime in the next few months I want to find a healthy gigantea or magnifica to finish with my stocking.

Fixed the scape a bit for the final species of anemone going into this tank. Everything is so pissed off. By the end of next weekend there will be no more Vortechs in this tank and I will finally be getting the 6055s I had originally planned for. Tomorrow another anemone gets added. Super excited for that one. What is it exactly? Time will tell.

fishez4alivin
No mandarin. It wouldn't last a day with the hadonni. I know I planned sps but this tank will probably end with mostly anemones as I now want to find a nice magnifica. Anemones and clownfish are an obsession. I think I need help :(.

The rbta has decided to settle (for now) in a crevice with its tentacles out exactly where I placed it. Very excited about this because it looks like how I would see a bta in the wild.

Also, pretty sure one of the chromis met his/her maker last night in the form of a big blue hadonni.

Isn't mixing Haddoni, BTA's, and Magnificas sometimes detrimental? Are you planning on running a lot of carbon? I'm curious, because I am supposed to be getting a Magnifica locally, that's been in her tank for over a year, and researching everything about them, most said it could cause problems.

Fixed the scape a bit for the final species of anemone going into this tank. Everything is so pissed off. By the end of next weekend there will be no more Vortechs in this tank and I will finally be getting the 6055s I had originally planned for. Tomorrow another anemone gets added. Super excited for that one. What is it exactly? Time will tell.

If you are looking to part ways with your Vortechs I am in the market for my 57gal thats still in the works...

Isn't mixing Haddoni, BTA's, and Magnificas sometimes detrimental? Are you planning on running a lot of carbon? I'm curious, because I am supposed to be getting a Magnifica locally, that's been in her tank for over a year, and researching everything about them, most said it could cause problems.

Lots and lots of carbon. I change every 2 weeks. If it comes down to it, I'll get rid of one, but hopefully it won't. And, that is what I'm getting as well. Mag tomorrow from a local reefer who's had it for three weeks, and from what I saw it looks like it is extremely healthy.

This is what he had on his for sale thread.

IMG_0260.jpg

If you are looking to part ways with your Vortechs I am in the market for my 57gal thats still in the works...

I need to replace the driver on my MP40w es but was going to sell it in the ballpark of $300.

edit: after I fix the driver issue. Just to clarify.

I was trying to figure out why the BTA went from looking healthy to kinda deflated the last couple of days and last night I got my solution. It was splitting. Now have two healthy BTAs in the tank. :)

aw, don't mix. make a clone field. so sexy

Sounds sexy. That is the plan, small island of bta clones.

wow this tank is amazing!

Thanks! Takes a lot of carbon to have the nems living in harmony.

Awesome tank!

Thanks man.

Why do you need the carbon?

Chemical warfare between anemones, especially the haddoni and magnifica. Without the carbon, most likely the magnifica would lose the battle.

• 1 month later...

Considering this tank is pretty much done on the stocking front I am starting another setup. Not sure if I should start a thread on it, but it's going to be hardcore planted freshwater.

Archived