Innovative Marine Aquariums

70 Rimless Anemone Tank

TheWAND

Nice meeting you today!

awesome build, i hope this grows into one awesome SPS dominated beast!

Yea man, it was good meeting you today.

Finished the door and mounted it, here's how it turned out.

2011-03-30_20-29-23_39.jpg

Not centered, but the hinges weren't giving me enough room to work with to center it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regal passed today. :(

It has been eating fine and behaving normally, but today I found it dead in the tank. After taking it out, and having further inspection, it seems the flukes treatment left some open sores and the fish took on a bacterial infection. The red spots were very tiny and were not noticeable from outside the tank, and I had to look very closely to even see them when the fish was out. Bad day for me. :tears:

• 2 weeks later...
$;&;$ you photobucket! I need to see his pictures!

Yea, sorry. Don't know what's wrong with photobucket. If you need to see pictures of anything, I'll try and upload them somewhere else for the time being.

Another tank update. Turns out I had crypt this whole time. It's the only thing that explains my fish losses, which has brought me down to 0 fish. Weird thing is, no fish were showing the signs, all of them were eating, breathing normally, and swimming actively. The next day, all of the anthias were gone and the male potters was too. The female only lasted 12 hours longer. She was the only one showing white spots by the time it was over. All the anthias had shredded fins when I pulled them out. It might have been flukes, but for now I'm ruling it out since I did two full treatments on all of the fish. All the fish losses kind of are depressing, it took a while to get them all on pellet food. I'm just going to let the tank mellow out for a couple months before I try adding fish again.

I've had a single acro frag in the tank for a couple weeks and that seems to be doing well. It's all I can add right now since I don't have the proper lighting or dosing system installed yet to support a fully stocked sps tank.

• 2 months later...

Finally this tank is getting the light treatment it deserves. Two AI Sol Blue units have been ordered and should be here later this week. Getting excited to finally start stocking this tank for real. I also feel like I've let the tank sit for long enough without fish. Going to slowly start that stocking process as well. Next on the list: dosing pumps.

AI is here!

Reefgeek forgot to pack the hanging kit with it, so for now it's sitting on the AI rack system with legs on the tank. The light looks great on the tank, and I think I will end up with the light sitting 10-12" over the tank.

Added the first fish in a long while to the tank yesterday. He was out and about this morning so I snapped a few shots.

likemywrasse.jpg

And he's already eating pellets. :)

wrasseeats.jpg

#enterdslr

Long day at home gave me some time to take some pictures and edit some I already had, so I'm posting despite the lack of responses. :P

First, an updated FTS.

fts.jpg

And a shot of a promising coral I acquired.

favia.jpg

Keep in mind I haven't really been actively stocking the tank, but that process should begin shortly.

Looks amazing That shimmer is so awesome!

Thanks. Was going to upload this too from my trip to Hawaii, but Photobucket was giving me grief. Hope this works.

The octopus we found in our second dive. The one from the first dive was eaten by an eel almost immediately after we let it go.

octomom.jpg

lawnmowerblenny
Thanks. Was going to upload this too from my trip to Hawaii, but Photobucket was giving me grief. Hope this works.

The octopus we found in our second dive. The one from the first dive was eaten by an eel almost immediately after we let it go.

octomom.jpg

Wow that is a beautiful creature right! is that a mimic?

Got the light hanging kit tonight. Reefgeek sent it out as soon as I called it seems and USPS brought to me for saturday delivery. Big ups to the people at reefgeek for that one. As soon as I got home (from what may have been the worst wedding I've ever been to) I set up the lights. They are now hanging 8 1/2" over the water line. Broke out the tripod and got some nice looking night shots. Vignette added in PS to remove some unwanted details.

f/18 20 second exposure ISO100

nightfts.jpg

f/2.0 1/8 second exposure ISO 100

favianight.jpg

Used my Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L lens for the fts and Canon 135 f/2.0 lens for the picture of the favia. Nothing quite like a fast prime for shots like that, which are pretty much portraits of the entire coral, which is what I use the lens for except for it's usually of people. Hopefully by the end of summer I should have added the Canon 100mm 2.8 L to my arsenal.

#ramblingtomyselfinboredom

Chris George

Love your setup. you're moving much faster than I am. My tank has been running with lights for about a month now, and I still haven't added anything living. :)

Love your setup. you're moving much faster than I am. My tank has been running with lights for about a month now, and I still haven't added anything living. :)

I checked out your build thread. Your tank looks good. As for moving slow, I setup this tank in February, so you still have a couple months before you need to get worried. :P

Chris George

I had the tank and was building the stand in February too. I just started my thread in April. :) I have a cleanup crew ordered though, so there will be life in the tank next week.

Oh yeah, forgot. Subscribed!

• 2 weeks later...

Transferred a blue haddoni from another system to this tank today. Going to let it settle in before posting anything. So far everything looks good. I managed to remove it from the other tank without any tears and it's already anchored itself to a rock to start burying its foot into the sand. I've had this anemone in the other tank for 8 months already so I am confident that it will be healthy in this system.

fishez4alivin
Starting to dig in.

nemfoot.jpg

Hopefully it should be completely settled in a couple days.

That's a nice looking haddoni

That's a nice looking haddoni

Thanks. I feel like I have been neglecting it in the other tank so hopefully it will get more attention in this system. I've found haddonis to be very hardy once they've settled in.

What do you think of those lights so far. In the first photo they looked like they had pretty focused light but has that changed since you hung them? I'm considering these for my 85g but I'm worried about spotlighting my tank.

Your tank looks great of course. I love that wrasse but then again, I'm a sucker for wrasses. The haddoni will be beautiful too!

What do you think of those lights so far. In the first photo they looked like they had pretty focused light but has that changed since you hung them? I'm considering these for my 85g but I'm worried about spotlighting my tank.

Your tank looks great of course. I love that wrasse but then again, I'm a sucker for wrasses. The haddoni will be beautiful too!

The lights are great. The spread is good once you raise up the light a bit, around 10" in my case. If you get the system I would definitely shoot for the hanging kit. If you needed bigger spread on your 85, you could easily raise the light higher up, don't worry about intensity as mine are peaking at 40% every day. Most people buy the lens upgrade kit which changes the middle four lenses on the fixture to 70 degree optics which makes spread better.

Archived