Coral Vue Hydros

70 Rimless Anemone Tank

TheWAND

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice set up! I look forward to looking at the process!

Thanks! Only thing really holding me back right now is picking the light I want. Looking at these

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-ldsr0...24+Inch%29.html

http://www.aquaticselite.com/GENESIS_160w_.../ge-led-824.htm

and 2 AI modules.

Vertex is probably going to win out on this one since the sfiligoi will come out to over 2500 for 24" :o

dtownkennel

I have a DSB in this tank 3.5"-4" deep. Not any issues with flow.

Can you tell me what brand of sand you ended up using...

I have a DSB in this tank 3.5"-4" deep. Not any issues with flow.

Can you tell me what brand of sand you ended up using...

Caribsea aragmax sugar sized grain. I think its an oolite sand. Don't get live, always dry. Its cheaper and easier to use.

Thanks!!

No problem.

Tank update:

A couple fish I ordered made it in today. They seem to be doing ok despite the packaging being sub-par. I'll let you know what they are once I get a picture ready. B)

Caribsea aragmax sugar sized grain. I think its an oolite sand. Don't get live, always dry. Its cheaper and easier to use.

Just be sure to rinse it really well!!!!

Anyways, WAND, the tank looks awesome!! I think your livestock choices are pretty intense also, so best of luck with that.

I'm looking fwd to pics with the lighting all set up.

Just be sure to rinse it really well!!!!

Anyways, WAND, the tank looks awesome!! I think your livestock choices are pretty intense also, so best of luck with that.

I'm looking fwd to pics with the lighting all set up.

Thanks man! I always went with reef safe before, but recently have been involved with a few tanks with angels, so I am cautiously entering the realm of semi reef safe fish.

2011-03-08_16-45-45_681.jpg

I have a video, but need to wait to upload to youtube, since photobucket makes it look like pixelated puke.

sweet video....is that a pair of Potters....?

It don't really matter what you put in here dude,

it's already a very nice set up. B)

It will just keep lookin' better....

sweet video....is that a pair of Potters....?

It don't really matter what you put in here dude,

it's already a very nice set up. B)

It will just keep lookin' better....

That's exactly what it is. :) Thanks for the comment. All this fish talk makes me impatient to start stocking SPS though.

fishez4alivin

get a tort, and if it lives for a month, you are good to go, if you try something easy like a birdsnest, and it lives, and you start to stock, you can lose a bunch of higher priced stuff. Torts are pretty tough and will let you know when your parameters are wacked.....anyway, looking forward to seeing your tank get filled with corals, any idea which ones you are getting for sure?

get a tort, and if it lives for a month, you are good to go, if you try something easy like a birdsnest, and it lives, and you start to stock, you can lose a bunch of higher priced stuff. Torts are pretty tough and will let you know when your parameters are wacked.....anyway, looking forward to seeing your tank get filled with corals, any idea which ones you are getting for sure?

Not too worried about failing with SPS, but I probably will end up putting in a tester before I start stocking hardcore. I will probably end up with a bunch of no-name aussie SPS. They are coming in a lot and coming in nice.

that scape.....is sick....

Thanks! I really wanted to go for a dramatic canyon in this one. I am debating moving the rock that is front and right to the sump, but until my plans for an anemone are completely gone, it's staying where it is. Hopefully I will be able to find a nice mag or gig to put there.

In other news, I was having trouble getting enough water into my skimmer since I ordered my baffles at 7" and the recommended height for the 840 is 8", so I devised a way to get the water level to 8" without any major changes. This keeps my water at a perfectly steady 8" in the skimmer area and I thought I would share it since I haven't seen anything other solutions of raising the water level effectively and as easily.

All I did was take some 3/4" pvc pipe and cut it down to where it restricted enough water flow through the baffles to have the water level raise to where gravity's pull would level it out. Worked in my head and worked like a charm once I got enough tiny sections of PVC cut so I could fine tune the water level.

2011-03-09_21-00-27_348.jpg

Don't know if you can see, but I have 8" marked with dry erase so I could set the level without having to measure each time.

2011-03-09_21-01-00_72.jpg

fishez4alivin

Yup those Aussie colonies are pretty cheap compared to a year ago. Can't wait to see what you put in this tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I dig your stand. What are the plans to skin it? I'm setting up a 12" high tank, and plan on building an extra tall stand as well.

The LED fixtures look sweet as well. I just can't quite bit the bullet on the price just yet (although I'd need two to cover my tank).

I dig your stand. What are the plans to skin it? I'm setting up a 12" high tank, and plan on building an extra tall stand as well.

The LED fixtures look sweet as well. I just can't quite bit the bullet on the price just yet (although I'd need two to cover my tank).

Tall stands bring the tank to eye level and easy access is a $15 step stool away. Plus the extra working space under neath makes it something I can't be without.

You planning to paint/stain/add doors etc?

Just curious. Loving the scape and fish selection as well.

Nothing other than doors. It seems that homedepot and most cabinet makers don't sell single doors aaymore, so until I have timm to build my own, the stand remains doorless.

So took some time to cut wood for the door. This is what I have, before I start gluing and screwing everything in place. Just used spare wood flooring. The trim is hardwood mahogany flooring and the inner is engineered maple flooring. It's turning out better than I expected.

2011-03-28_09-38-41_141.jpg

Archived