inTank Media Baskets

70 Rimless Anemone Tank

TheWAND

I've started a 70 gallon cube, which has been up since Saturday, just today have gotten around to getting pictures of it. The stand is a DIY made of birch plywood and solid pine.

Dimensions

• Display: 30x30x18 with 3/4" acrylic, 5x5 corner overflow
  • Sump: 24x24x14, two chambers
  • Stand: 34x34x40

Equipment

• Return: Tunze Silence 1073.05
  • Tunze 6045
  • Ecotech MP40 ESW
  • Tunze Multicontroller 7095
  • Tunze Osmolator 5017
  • ATB Econo 840 with Mini Airstar
  • Vertex Zeo Reactor offline
  • Lighting: Aqua Illumination

Maintenance

• Weekly waterchanges
  • Clean Acrylic 2x/week
  • Change carbon and GFO once a month
  • 4-5 times daily feedings - Hikari Marine S pellets, sometimes Hikary Mysis and Spirulina Brine Shrimp soaked in Vitamarin C
  • 2 Drops Iodine 2x/week

And now... the pictures. :happy:

DSC02527.jpg

DSC02528.jpg

Little black box on the left with the white knob is the flow control for the 1073.05 by the way. The return can be run on the 7095, but won't be used for this function.

DSC02529.jpg

DSC02530.jpg

DSC02531.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

Pretty insane reflections, but you should get the general idea of what's going on in there.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a sand bed that deep, is there any concern about the rocks sinking to the bottom over time?

Nope. Only thing touching the sand will be conches, and rocks don't really sink into sandbeds. I've had plenty of tanks with a DSB and have never had issues like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tank. Can't wait to see it stocked.
ooooo nice dimensions!!

cant wait to see how this turns out!

Thanks guys! Well no pictures of what I'm so excited about yet, but I can tell you a bit about it.

Fishehs. B)

Skimmer has to break in again. Just switched out the small PPW to the large PPW. Pump is pulling much more air, so much that I had to make a 1.5" platform for the skimmer to not overflow. Excited to see how the extra air performance pans out. :happy:

On another note, all the added fish are eating and swimming about.

Here's an updated stocklist:

• Regal Angel
  • 4 Lyretail Anthias (Maldives)
  • 3 Conches for sandbed

The regal is quite a find, with it already eating pellets at the LFS. It also has a misbar, making it a pretty unique fish.

LFS didn't have a male lyretail, so the females fought it out for a bit, but that has since subsided. Hopefully I'll have a male from one of the females in a month or two.

fishez4alivin

Thats a sweet a$$ ^&*&) fish, nice man...great equipment too, who made your tank? This is going to be a sps dominant reef? Since the angel is an adult, so I'm sure he will love to eat LPS and softies...

Thats a sweet a$$ ^&*&) fish, nice man...great equipment too, who made your tank? This is going to be a sps dominant reef? Since the angel is an adult, so I'm sure he will love to eat LPS and softies...

Yes, SPS dominant reef, although I will try to put a couple LPS in the tank. Only other thing going in the tank than that though will either be a haddoni, gigantea, or magnifica anemone with a pair of clowns. Still deciding on which, but I already know the exact spot where it will be put.

The tank and sump was made by my buddy John at Advance Acrylics. I asked for the sticker to not be put on.

Love the tank, great colors

Thanks bro! Your tank is looking good too. How's the temp holding with the 150 watt mh on the nc 12? I had an nc 12 before this tank, but I used LEDs, probably going to go with LEDs again on this tank.

My temps are very stable doesn't get hotter than 79 and even in the summer it only increases a degree or two.

Very cool. For some reason, even will LEDs on my tank, I had to keep a fan going to keep the temp low. When I was cycling I didn't have a fan and the temp got to 95 one night. It must've been faulty equipment or the weather then.

With news pertaining to the tank, The angel started feeding today more like it was at the LFS. Before it had only eaten a piece of jumbo mysis in the tank. But I put in some spirulina enriched brine and it ate it up.

fishez4alivin

Congrats on getting it to feed, I know sometimes they can take a week to feed, especially the large adult angels. Bet he looks sweet under actinics.

• 2 weeks later...

beeee-uuu-teee-ful DSB there....

Nice rock work, very sexy...

Dig the sump...

sweet Regal, they have been know to

pick and stress out SPS as well IME. B)

What kind of sand did you ended up putting into the tank?? and did it become a problem with strong flow???

I have a DSB in this tank 3.5"-4" deep. Not any issues with flow.

beeee-uuu-teee-ful DSB there....

Nice rock work, very sexy...

Dig the sump...

sweet Regal, they have been know to

pick and stress out SPS as well IME. B)

Thanks. I'll see how the regal behaves for me. Not really too worried about picking at SPS every once in a while.

Also after treating for flukes with prazipro, one of my anthias had a weird intestinal parasite and died, so I'm down to 3 lyretails. :(

Other than that everything is good and healthy.

Oops I lied... it's still alive and kicking. Just has a weird bulge in its stomach area. Looks like a lot of poop. Constipated anthias?

Archived