Top Shelf Aquatics

Ray's JBJ Nano HQI Build

Rays-Reef

Hello All, this is my first Nanocube Build. I want to share my boring build with you :D

Equipment & Livestock:

JBJ 28G HQI Nano-Cube w/MT-60 Stand

Vortech MP10 w/Battery Back-up

DE 150w Radium HQI

Aquamaxx HOB-1 w/Sicce Syncra Pump

Caribsea coarse sand bed 30 lbs.

25 lbs. Dry Fiji Rock *Custom Aquascaping*

Current Corals:

3- Wellsophyllia

Trachyphyllia

Aussie Acan Garden

Aussie Torch Green w/Purple Tips

3- Marshall Island Maxima Clams

Aussie Lobo

Red Hornet

Japanese Leather

Aussie Fungia Pinwheel

RPE Favia

Tyree Sunset Monti

LE Superman Monti

*Planning on adding more SPS/Acros once tank is more established

Fish List:

Pair of Wild Onyx

Mimic Yellow Tang

Blue Hippo

Flame Hawk Fish

*Future addition- Fu Manchu Dwarf Lionfish, Orange Filefish, *undecided wrasse*.

DSC_0001-10.jpg

DSC_0014.jpgDSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0011-4.jpgDSC_0006-7.jpg

DSC_0005-9.jpgDSC_0002-11.jpg

Awesome colors, and those three clams look sweet next to each other.

Thanks Macron, yup those are 3 maximas. I can't wait to add acros in the next 4 wks. The top half of the rock just looks so empty without them.

No disrespect, but WTF?

2 tangs, 5 fish total, and you're adding more?

I hope you have a bigger tank for the tangs

Oh yea, I love pushing my limits. Once the tangs get bigger I'll put them in my bigger system. I'm sure the Tang Police will be giving me a warning.

Colors look good. How long has this been running?

What do you do for filtration? I'm setting up this same tank and I would like to know how you keep it so clean. Thanks Rob

Colors look good. How long has this been running?

What do you do for filtration? I'm setting up this same tank and I would like to know how you keep it so clean. Thanks Rob

Hey Rob, I've had this only running for 2 wks. I used 30% of my water from my other system and 70% new water. All my rocks and sand are dry *No pest* to start. I also did a daily WC with my other system *5G* for a week. So far everything is looking good and no algae bloom. With HQI there is always that heat issue, until I get my fans I have it on for about 5-6 hrs per day. Big thing for me is flow and skimmer in my Nano setup. The Media basket won't fit while the skimmer operating. I use the prefilter sponge on the returns. So my skimmer would be the main filteration, which should be enough, its ready for the bio-load I will be having in the future. Also a good amount of flow in my setup. MP10 @ 75% around 800-900gph and about 400gph on the returns and very little substrate in the tank so water flow will be able touch every corner and back of the tank. Another reason why I went with a coarse sandbed so I do not have a sand storm.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice setup so far! I'm loving the coloration you have! And lol Tang Police. Just make sure to move them to a bigger size tank down the road of course.

Nice setup so far! I'm loving the coloration you have! And lol Tang Police. Just make sure to move them to a bigger size tank down the road of course.

Thanks, as for the tangs...they'll be good for at least 6 months or until they out grow the tank. BTW both tangs have had no ICH or stress since it was added to the nano. I thank you all for your concerns and no fish will be harmed in the process of this build.

Update, forgot to mention on latest pic- Just added 2 Aussie Fungia Plates Orange/Green, Deepwater Blue Zoos and Aussie Purple w/Lime Yellow Tip Torch *side by side* with the Green w/purple tips.

Archived