LED question on driver?

MakoMan36

Been out of the hobby for a year now getting back again :P . I'm planning on going LED so I got all of it on order.

11 CR-E ( 6RB + 5CW) and 2 MeanWell ELN-60-48D ,well after placing the order I notice this in Rapidled website "do not try to use less than 8 LED because the minimum driver output is 24V.Pushing 24V through less than 8 LED will likely destroy them".Is this true or can I turning down the SVR-2 since I'm using 5LED in one driver? I'm new to this LED thing :happy:

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Been out of the hobby for a year now getting back again :P . I'm planning on going LED so I got all of it on order.

11 CR-E ( 6RB + 5CW) and 2 MeanWell ELN-60-48D ,well after placing the order I notice this in Rapidled website "do not try to use less than 8 LED because the minimum driver output is 24V.Pushing 24V through less than 8 LED will likely destroy them".Is this true or can I turning down the SVR-2 since I'm using 5LED in one driver? I'm new to this LED thing :happy:

ELN-60-48 runs between 24-48v

If you are running XR-E at the full 1000mA rating you need at least 8 to reach 24v (3.4v x 8 = 27.2v)

the SVR-2 can only adjust the current and the SRV-1 can adjust the voltage between 43.2-52.8v

So basically you shouldn't use 2 ELN-60-48 drivers for the 11 XR-E, 1 would be enough.

If you want to dim the separate colors, just order 9-10 of each color. 9-10 is a good safe number in case you pop an LED. If you only use 8, and one blows (which is possible but not likely) then you'll be juicing the other LEDs with over-voltage.

This doesn't normally end well. I've seen several threads (and one in person) situation where they only ran 7 LEDs per ELN60-48 and blew half of their LEDs.

You can turn the SVR-2 to 24v and put 5 leds into one drive, but their life will be very short. It's kind of like overclocking your computer you can do it, but will you?

The minimum driver output is 24V and you want to push 5 led through one drive which equals to 4.8v per led. A led only needs 3w to light up hence why they say 8 is the minimum (24/3=8). You can do it, but I believe they won't last very long. I think you can push 7 minimum per drive, but that is the lowest I would take it.

tld'r: Pushing that much volts per led is going to kill it.

Thanks guys the reason I want 2 drivers is to fine turn the color .So if I'm running 10 LEDs ( 5RB + 5CW) in one driver is color is more toward the yellow? I'm looking for a white-blue color(14K MH) do I need more RB LED?

A 50/50 mix will get you about a 12-14K color temperature. If you want fine control over your color temperature, you will either have to add at least 2 more LEDs per color to use Meanwell ELN-60-48 drivers, or stick with the current LED setup and get ELN-30-27 drivers (lower voltage).

Archived