Cultivated Reef

Photography Help

cbandotho

ehh...no.

buy extension tubes if you want to do macros on the cheap.

I purchased "macro filters" which are essentially magnifying glasses you screw onto the front of your lens. for $10 definitely worth the purchase IMO. Of course quality is not close to that of a true macro lens, but it is very nice to have macro ability in a cheap alternative.

4x, no tripod

IMG_0975.jpg

10x, no tripod

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Food for thought...

You don't necessarily have to buy a macro lens for a DSLR. You can hold the lens on backwards and achieve the same thing.

Check out the link below for a how-to guide.

http://andross01.deviantart.com/art/Change...3358?q=&qo=

I've tried it and it works quite well.

I've never heard of this, thanks for the read!

I purchased "macro filters" which are essentially magnifying glasses you screw onto the front of your lens. for $10 definitely worth the purchase IMO. Of course quality is not close to that of a true macro lens, but it is very nice to have macro ability in a cheap alternative.

Nice pictures, I'll have to look into the filters. Would be easier than rubber-banding the lens to the camera body backwards :P

the fiters are called diopter kits

they work great.. get a stackable set :)

the only drawback is they make the DOF paper thin.. but you can get some good macros :)

the only drawback is they make the DOF paper thin.. but you can get some good macros :)

Yeah that's one drawback to simply turning the lens around as well. Depth of field is hard to come by. It makes it rather difficult to get everything, no matter how small, in focus.

With the diopter kit do you find it's better to put the lens on manual focus? Just curious..

+1 on the DOF, I take about 15 pics of the same thing in hopes that it's correctly focused, just to account for any swaying!

when shooting macro I feel you should always been in manual.. alot of pro photographers only shoot in manual mode.

when shooting macro the camera sometimes decides to focus past the object.. and there is a focus delay as well..

when shooting macro.. especially in the tank i shoot manual since fish like to swim by and ruin the shots lol

Tripod, remote and manual focus.

Line up the shot and click the remote. you'll get super sharp images.. providing its not a moving object and you lens is fast enough.

i prefer shooting with a 50mm 1.8 with the diopter kit. when shooting dslr. the 50mm is super fast and sharp. remove the camera shake and you can get some seriously sharp images without a flash.

get acquainted with photoshop too. the camera doesnt always like the reef lighting.. it has a hard time metering it. So most times you need to tweak here an there to get the image to represent what you are actually seeing.

Yeah that's one drawback to simply turning the lens around as well. Depth of field is hard to come by. It makes it rather difficult to get everything, no matter how small, in focus.

With the diopter kit do you find it's better to put the lens on manual focus? Just curious..

Manual focus definitely works better for me. I think auto focus gets confused by the magnification lens, hah.

get acquainted with photoshop too. the camera doesnt always like the reef lighting.. it has a hard time metering it. So most times you need to tweak here an there to get the image to represent what you are actually seeing.

Agreed. I use a tripod, manual focus, etc. etc. and I find that the biggest problem I run into is lighting.

Even when setting a custom white balance, I can't seem to get great lighting and anything even close to an actual representation of what I'm seeing.

4520680579_cd9082b596_b.jpg

i took this free hand with the 50mm 1.8 manual focus

a couple of my Favorite reef were with a point and shoot though

4231254399_a101933fa2.jpg

4232023492_5d34e29720.jpg

5430799083_2dc188174f_o.jpg

This was my favorite tank related shot from last (taken with my canon t1i that had to sell to pay bills :( )

(water coming out of the filter with LED lights on)

4667929192_39ebc7935d_z.jpg

this came out okay too with the dslr

5036076873_641a7337fd_b.jpg

one of my all time favorite shots with a cheap point and shoot

3691494338_e7153a29b6_o.jpg

This one too came out awesome

3690685309_8ca638d922_o.jpg

the more you start to love photography the more you will want control.. which will eventually lead you to a dslr :P

Awesome shots Tiny.

I love having a DSLR, however, mine's becoming a bit outdated.

I have had a Nikon D40 for the past several years, and lately it doesn't perform anywhere near where I'd like it to.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a Nikon D200 (found a nice used one from B&H Photo).

i had the canon 10d 6.3mp from about 2004-2005 (sold it to pay off some bills and invest in an engagement ring for my wife) (then girlfriend) then back about 3 years ago i got another 10d.

last summer i sold it and bought a canon t1i 15.1mp does 1080p video..

next camera i will buy... lol another 10d. no joke.

the 10d had a magnesium body and you couldnt kill the thing. The t1i was plastic, smaller and controls were far from organic. The setup on the 10d was far nicer and easier to use. I shoot manual mode most of the time so being to switch the parameters quickly is key. with the 10d there was wheels for each setting (f stop, iso and exposure) on the t1i it was a button and you needed to click it to get to each setting then change the settings one by one.. i dont have time for that when you need to take a shot.

99% of the time i just shoot to post the pictures online and really dont need 15.1mp

I thought upgrading was going to be a joyus thing but actually shot less because i missed my old camera.

I would recommend finding someone with one to try out before you ditch the camera you are used to.

You would give up a vastly superior camera because you simply don't like the way it feels? More power to you I guess.

If you were flip flopping between a 40D and T1i, or even a 30D, I could understand that.

it's not just feel.. A "better" camera is useless if it takes too long to change the parameters to take the shot. It's should be quick and organic.. I want to be able to take pictures lol not fiddle with cumbersom settings and miss the shot

ehh...no.

buy extension tubes if you want to do macros on the cheap.

+1. Extension tubes are the cheapest if you want to do macro with a dslr. flipping the lens works too but you can find cheap tubes online and they work just just as well. A tube with a 70-200 L is awesome.

Agree with the macro techniques of everyone too. A few other things that might help is turning VR/IS off if ur using a tripod and mirror lock up.

Archived