Pod Your Reef

how to kill aptasia?

gdlyorchi

well, I bought some LR from a guy and I last night I count 4 aiptasia on the rocks,and I read a little bit about this and how the pepper mint shrimp will eat it, is this the best way to kill the aiptasia?

well, I bought some LR from a guy and I last night I count 4 aiptasia on the rocks,and I read a little bit about this and how the pepper mint shrimp will eat it, is this the best way to kill the aiptasia?

Peppers don't always eat it... It can be hit or miss. Joe's Juice, boiling water, aptasiaX, and superglue are pretty surefire.

boiling water huh? but that will kill the vacteria in the rocks, should i boule the rock after the tank has cycle? and then reintroduce the rocks?

i think you put the boiling water directly into the syringe and focus it into the mouth of the aptasia. if you can take the rock out even better.

boiling water huh? but that will kill the vacteria in the rocks, should i boule the rock after the tank has cycle? and then reintroduce the rocks?

Boiling water injected right into the mouth/stalk. It helps break down the proteins that bind the nem together. Doesn't always work (they're great at regeneration) but will usually do the trick.

If you're going to boil the whole rock I'd do it now. Don't wait until after you've cycled or it could start it all over again.

best way to completely get rid of them would probably be berghia nudibranches. http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html they're a bit expensive but if you think your tank is worth it, then I'd definitely suggest going that route. Basically you buy a few of them, let them colonize(takes about a month), and watch as they completely eradicate any aiptasias in your tank. Once they're done you can sell em for a pretty good price too so in the end you'll probably get your money's worth and more. But then again I don't know what your tank specs are...if it's a pico or a small nano I don't know how worthwhile it would be...especially with only 4 small aiptasias.

I don't think you should completely rule out the peppermint shrimp option. I goto my local petco sometimes for good deals on CUC and other inexpensive inverts and their tanks are FULL of aiptasias. But the peppermint shrimp tank is completely spotless. So maybe try to take a closer look at which of the shrimp are actually eating aiptasias and make sure to pick those ones.

irondragon013
I just bought aiptasia X and it's working great so far.

This stuff works very well. My friend has 4 peppermint shrimp and the largest one is nicknamed the devil. They can cause more problems then they are worth and are nearly impossible to catch.

best way to completely get rid of them would probably be berghia nudibranches. http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html they're a bit expensive but if you think your tank is worth it, then I'd definitely suggest going that route. Basically you buy a few of them, let them colonize(takes about a month), and watch as they completely eradicate any aiptasias in your tank. Once they're done you can sell em for a pretty good price too so in the end you'll probably get your money's worth and more. But then again I don't know what your tank specs are...if it's a pico or a small nano I don't know how worthwhile it would be...especially with only 4 small aiptasias.

I don't think you should completely rule out the peppermint shrimp option. I goto my local petco sometimes for good deals on CUC and other inexpensive inverts and their tanks are FULL of aiptasias. But the peppermint shrimp tank is completely spotless. So maybe try to take a closer look at which of the shrimp are actually eating aiptasias and make sure to pick those ones.

MY tank is a BC29, and there is at least 4 or 5 aiptasias that I can see, may be more, 3 are pretty big and 2 are small,, I was thinking on dipping the whole rock in boiling water but I have some sponges and other staff on the rock that it came with, so I think I will try the nudy branch method on my 29g tank

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

now can anyone ID the thing that is on top of that little sucker aiptasia? I think is a clam but im nos sure, I have 2 of this ones on my rocks

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Archived