SaltCritters.com

New light acclimation?

sefrayser

I went from a 150 MH to a 250 MH. How long should I keep screen on top of the tank to acclimate the corals? I started with 2 pieces of screen and I took one off after a day, how long before I take the other off. Also what is the purpose of running the T-5 and MH together? I have my T-5 coming on 2 hrs before the MH and staying on with the MH and then 2 hrs after the MH is off.

I went from a 150 MH to a 250 MH. How long should I keep screen on top of the tank to acclimate the corals? I started with 2 pieces of screen and I took one off after a day, how long before I take the other off. Also what is the purpose of running the T-5 and MH together? I have my T-5 coming on 2 hrs before the MH and staying on with the MH and then 2 hrs after the MH is off.

Honestly, I would have left the first screen on longer. Personally I would have left the first screen on at least a week. There no reason to rush....taking a little longer isn't going to hurt anything...on the other hand, not acclimating can cause damage. IME, It also depends on the type of coral in the tank. I've had more problem acclimating SPS than other....In my case from MH to LEDs.

All I have is some zoa's, a leather, and a mushroom. I thought it would put some heat in the tank but so far it hasnt raised the temp at all. I do have it about 2-3" higher than the 150. I will say the 250 is hella bright. A whole lot brighter than the 150.

I will say that it appears my corals love the new light. They are all reaching towards the light. They also seem to be getting bigger.

All I have is some zoa's, a leather, and a mushroom. I thought it would put some heat in the tank but so far it hasnt raised the temp at all. I do have it about 2-3" higher than the 150. I will say the 250 is hella bright. A whole lot brighter than the 150.

I will say that it appears my corals love the new light. They are all reaching towards the light. They also seem to be getting bigger.

Softies seem to be more forgiving with this....at least IME. I'd probably leave the screen on for a few days, re-evaluate, and remove it.

Archived