Top Shelf Aquatics

How little light can the tank live with?

CoopMD

My new NC 28 is on week 4 of it's cycle. It hit all 0's on the big nasties (Am and trates), so I added a very few snails and crabs.

I had had the lights on 11 hrs, but cut that back to 10, then 8 per recommendations here.

But nonetheless, my algae is going bonkers. I tested as well for Ph (8.2) , phosphates(0.0).

GHA, dusty algae on sand, glass, more diatoms, a little bubble algae.

So yesterday, I there in a bag of activated carbon into the tank, added a shot of proClear, and added Argone to the media basket. And cut lights to 4 hours a day.

I think the giant blossoming has stopped, and my floss filter has to be replaced every 18 hours, as it is catching all the junk that has been floating around..

How little light can it tolerate? And is there a better way to do battle? (I was think about a CPR hang-on refugium with chaeto).

if there are no corals or fish in there you can cut the lights out completly if you have to.

A refugium would probably help with the bloom.

Yeah. Even with fish, the tank could go for weeks and weeks with only natural room light. I have been running a quarantine tank with no light fixture since January 5th and my fish are happy with the light that comes in from my dining room/normal lights. No algae ever showed up so far and I KNOW there has got to be tons of nutrients for them to feed on/grow in there. So it has to be the light that is keeping them from growing.

Right now I am using API phosphate pad as well as being a little more cautious with feeding and supplementation. The API pad also claims to correct high calcium issues and silicate buildup. I added more cleaning crew crabs and snails. I also: cut back on the light 1 hour, speed up the water changes, and kept the filter and skimmer intake clear from the dieing algae.

You are just experiencing what most people do with new tanks. It will all go away on it's own in due time with proper husbandry on your part. Months ago I

Started my breeder with dry rock and dry sand. Peed in the tank to start cycle and I have had every algea in my tank so far and everyrhing is gone except for a couple patches of ha.

Add more CuC.. I'm sure you're way below where you could be. Most people are.

Mag float the dust off the glass.

Blue legs and cortez hermits for the GHA and Diatomes

Emerald crab for the bubbles

Toss in a dozen or so snails for good measure and you should be on your way.

Ah the cortez...the only hermit I will deal with.

Added 10 (for a totall of 18 now) more snails. 5 Trouncs and 5 Astraes. Added 10 more hermits. --- mainly red and green legged. Ot bring crabs to 16. Plus I did add an emerald crab last Saturday.

All crew are very busy eating the dying algae.

What will they eat when that is gone?

Can I more daylight lighting now ?? At 4 hours.

What will they eat when that is gone?

Whatever they can find :P

Mostly left over fish food, crud building up on the LR and algae that forms on your glass.

If you feel like the algae is receding, you can try a bit more light. Might be a bit touchy until all the nutrients are worked out and the CuC has a good handle on it, though.

Peed in the tank to start cycle and I have had every algea in my tank so far and everyrhing is gone except for a couple patches of ha.

Did I read this right? You actually peed in your tank? :o

Some might say it's medical grade even. :lol:

It's still pretty stupid. We don't need to get in the "should I add ammonia to start a cycle" debate, though.

Archived