ReefCleaners.org

Soldering/wiring XP-G LEDs with optics

NeveSSL

Hi all,

I'm finally nearing the beginning of my LED fixture and I noticed something today. On my XP-Gs, there's no room to solder a wire onto the star with the optics on it! Are all of the XP-G optics like this? Am I just going to have to raise the optic a bit to get the wire under there? How are you guys dealing with this?

Many thanks!

Brandon

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hi all,

I'm finally nearing the beginning of my LED fixture and I noticed something today. On my XP-Gs, there's no room to solder a wire onto the star with the optics on it! Are all of the XP-G optics like this? Am I just going to have to raise the optic a bit to get the wire under there? How are you guys dealing with this?

Many thanks!

Brandon

You probably bought the cheaper 20mm optics? They are annoying because of that exact reason. 10mm are the way to go on 20mm stars. Are you trying to solder before or after you put the optic on?

also what degree of optic are you using as far as i know the only optics that are out for the XP-G's are really tight optics unless they just came out with wider optics recently

Solder with them on. Its the easiest way. No matter what type you buy they will always be a bit tricky.

Mustang - They have 8-60 degree. They have been out for some time now.

-Dave

Even 10mm optics are an enormous pain in the rectum. I have a spare soldering tip I'm going to try to grind down to a smaller needle tip specifically for these XPGs.

I often can't get the 10mm optics to lock onto the XPG's anyhow, they are too tight. The last batch I had, I had to drill the hole out a touch bigger just to get the !@^#%%#% things to fit over the die.

Thanks for the replies, all.

I bought these back in April. They were some of the first optics for XP-Gs available. I'm pretty positive they're 60 degrees. I guess I'll epoxy them on and then do the best I can. I should be able to shave some material from the lens "holder" fairly easily... I suspect that will be the best thing to do and shouldn't interfere with the lens itself at all since they're two different pieces and will have to be epoxied on anyway. I'll just use 5 minute epoxy and go from there. Without doing that, I literally have nowhere to solder as the star is completely covered. :) It should work, though.

Thanks again, guys.

Brandon

It will fit perfectly. I'll just be modifying the thingy around the lens of the optic. It will be epoxied flush onto the star. :) I thought that same thing, though. I can't just put it on top of the wiring... that will ruin the light.

Brandon

Archived