Need some help deciding

fishyj

Hi all, I just recently purchased a bc29 tank only and want to do a led set up. First thing I did was read all 128 pages and looked at every build I could find. I have a few questions regarding heatsinks and led's. On the heat sink I was checking around and found nanotuners carries one that measures 11x6.5x.05 or I could go with one from heatsink usa that measures 10x8. I believe that 24 dimable leds would do the coverage over the tank without optics. This is where it gets confusing to me. I noticed that most use 3w with a 1:1 ratio of cw 6500k and rb's. Looking at different suppliers I found 3w cw 8500k. Has anyone used these before? Also is there any difference between these leds? The reason I'am asking is the price is from $6.00 down to $3.00 and many more that are higher priced. I think I have checked every led supplier that I have read about on the site. I was also told to run 18 rb and 6 ultra cool 10000k lights on the tank. The last question (for now) is should I also be adding the 420nm True Violet LED to my build? If so how many and what driver would you use? Thanks for any input you have. Jim

Don't use high kelvin whites. They wash out colors in corals. The movement right now in the DIY LED front is warmer whites. 4500K neutral whites are the hot ticket right now in a 2:1 blue to white ratio. There is nothing wrong with using 6500K cool whites, as they still work very well, and definitely look a lot better than higher kelvin whites. The neutral whites just help bring out warmer colors better.

Not necessary, but can be useful. They are not for color purposes, as they can't really be seen over the main lights. They do produce good PAR, and in a wavelength range that is a little different than royal blues, which may or may not be beneficial.

Archived