Innovative Marine Aquariums

Looking advice for a NPS tank

abhishek@1985

abhishek@1985

Hi friends,

I have a nano reef tank set up for the last eight months with zoas and softies mainly..Its a 24inchx15(W) x 12 inch (H) tank with a 24 inchx12inchx12 inch sump. Runninga reef octopus 110 (Old model) and a refugium.

Water changes done every week upto 20%.Nitrates - 0 , Phosphates (No reading).

Got 2 sun corals from my friend as they were struggling because of no food in his tank as he is going sps way.

It has been 3 weeks since they are with me and I must say I enjoy feeding them.They are fed cyclopzee and frozen brine shrimps 2-3 times a day. They are slowly coming back to health.

So , to cut the matter short, I am hooked to Sun corals and looking forward to convert my tank into a NPS tank.Ofcourswe , will stock it with sun corals predominantly for the first few months and then slowly move towards gorgorians.

So here's the plan :-

1. I am not happy with my present skimmer and looking forward towards NW-110(Cone model) or Bubble Magus - NAC - 3.5 or 6..Which is better ..Also how good are Skimz skimmers?

2. I am planning for a phosphate reactor with phosban along with vodka dosing...

3. As for lights, will get T5s in place of 70 W mh that I run now..

What else do I need to consider while going the NPS way. I know skimmer matters a lot as I intend to feed them 2-3 times a day...

Hi friends,

I have a nano reef tank set up for the last eight months with zoas and softies mainly..Its a 24inchx15(W) x 12 inch (H) tank with a 24 inchx12inchx12 inch sump. Runninga reef octopus 110 (Old model) and a refugium.

Water changes done every week upto 20%.Nitrates - 0 , Phosphates (No reading).

Got 2 sun corals from my friend as they were struggling because of no food in his tank as he is going sps way.

It has been 3 weeks since they are with me and I must say I enjoy feeding them.They are fed cyclopzee and frozen brine shrimps 2-3 times a day. They are slowly coming back to health.

So , to cut the matter short, I am hooked to Sun corals and looking forward to convert my tank into a NPS tank.Ofcourswe , will stock it with sun corals predominantly for the first few months and then slowly move towards gorgorians.

So here's the plan :-

1. I am not happy with my present skimmer and looking forward towards NW-110(Cone model) or Bubble Magus - NAC - 3.5 or 6..Which is better ..Also how good are Skimz skimmers?

2. I am planning for a phosphate reactor with phosban along with vodka dosing...

3. As for lights, will get T5s in place of 70 W mh that I run now..

What else do I need to consider while going the NPS way. I know skimmer matters a lot as I intend to feed them 2-3 times a day...

Instead of vodka dosing I would recommend looking into a bio pellet reactor as a carbon source as you can't overdose it like you can vodka and it lasts 3-4 months from what I've read. Great Idea on adding a phosphate reactor if you are going to be dosing a carbon source.

Just wondering but why exactly are you changing the lights? My guess is to minimize algae but not totally sure. Also, feeding NPS does not have to be done 2-3 times a day. That seems very excessive, most do once a day or different parts at a time equaling a feeding every other day from the tank threads I've seen.

abhishek@1985

Thanks sean for the reply..

Well I am from India and I donot have acces to bio-pellet reactor here in India. So have been using vodka for the past 4 months with good results.The highest nitrate I have registered in API is 20ppm . So I guess that's good enough for NPS...

As for the lights...70W mh is heating up my tank too much..And as NPS wont need any llights so was thinking of getting a 2 bulb fixture with ATI tubes to make the tank look better with less heat..

Feeding..well I love feeding them 2-3 times a day.I have got excellant results feeding them and they have recovered from dyeing state to healthy , 24 hr open polyps in just 2 weeks..

May be I would now feed them once a day , but the fun is really in feeding them and that's the main reason why I am going the NPS way..

Please do advice me on a very good skimmer . The choices I have been looking at are :-

1. Reef Octopus NWB-110 (Cone Model).

2. Reef Octopus SRO-1000.(Too expensive for me)

3. Bubble Magus - NAC 3.5 or 6 or 7.

4. Skimz E series..

I can't really help with skimmer choices as I only have limited experience with an AquaticLife 115. Well it seems like you know what you are doing then with the stability of the system over time. For bulb choices on T-5's you wouldn't have to choose more expensive ATI one's as lighting isn't a true concern, but bulb colors is better with them.

Archived