ReefCleaners.org

New 55gal tank

linbeg

i bought a used 55 pre drilled salt water tank. I plan to clean it thoroughly with bleach(as i head that it is safe...but is it?) to wipe it out clean. However, there are some algae left in his tank, will bleaching the tank (if safe) be able to remove the algae? Or is this there a better way?

I wouldn't do bleach although I have heard the same thing...

White vinegar is FOR SURE reef safe, so you can use that to clean out the tank.

When using white vinegar, should i dilute it like when bleaching? 1 part white vinegar to 9 parts water?

And how long should i wait after i finish washing the tank with white vinegar to put livestock inside?

When I recently got a used tank it was full of dead coraline algae I used full strength white vinegar on it and it came up easily. I laid the tank down and put a towel soaked in vinegar on it for about 20 minutes and most came up when I wiped it. I used a magic eraser sponge to get the rest and then rinsed well. If you get a magic eraser make sure it is the original without any cleaners or scents.

If you get a magic eraser make sure it is the original without any cleaners or scents.

im not positive but dont those magic erasers have some sort of cleaning product in them? :huh: if they do nthen i would stay away from your tank with one. but then again i could just bee pulling this info out of my ass. but just make sure before you use one

oh.okay thanks. :happy: Do you have system running now? And how long did you wait till you placed your livestock inside?

I do have the tank running it took me a couple of weeks to get it up since it needed to be plumbed, I got rock from someone that was taking a tank down and some sand from a LFS. It has been over a month now and I finally got my fish from the tank I upgraded from. Remember to take your time I keep telling friends the fish weren't asked to be taken out of the wild and up in a glass box so make sure the system will handle them.

No, usually vinegar is itself relatively dilute (~5% acetic acid).

Would the cleaning still be as effective if i diluted the vinegar, just to be safe?or no?

You can dilute if you want, but it's not safer because you're rinsing with water afterward in any case. Soak the glass with vinegar for a long time so it works completely. Since it's hard to keep the liquid on the glass without turning it on its side, try soaking paper towels in the vinegar and "plastering" them to the glass.

Archived