Cultivated Reef

Lighting a 14gal BC for SPS

jeth

Hi all, I have a quandry to consider.

Sorry for the mess of questions...

I got a biocube 14 last spring and had to take it down. I want to build it back up again, but want the possibility of keeping SPS in the future.

From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I would need about 4.5 watts of lighting per gallon, which comes out to 63 watts. Most lighting systems I'm seeing that could give me that amount of light and still fit over a 14 gal BC (which has a width of only about 12") are either very expensive LED systems or HO/T5 systems that emmit a minimum of 150 watts!

Would 150 watts be too much for such a small system?

Also, wouldn't 150 watts increase my water temp and evaporation quite a bit? Last summer my water (no lifestock) was running around 92F at max with the stock PC bulbs(is that really high?) and there is no way I can afford a chiller. I would rather make make the cube a rimless to aid in temp control.

I would love to mod the system and make it rimless with a hanging pendant, but I live in an apartment and would have to go with a arm-type setup and its a bit pricey when combined with the light. Nonetheless it is a possibility I would still consider. I have about $400 to play with, but would like a solution around $300.

For all of you that have done the rimless 14BC, how are you doing your lighting? Recommendations?

Thanks!

in my opinion, my biocube stock hoods make the tank hotter than if you did topless and ran t5ho or metal halide. I was expecting to have to buy a chiller, but when I swithed over from my stock lighting to a 150w sunpod mh fixture, the tank ran about 2 degrees cooler.

T5HO are a lot cooler than metal halides, and both have the capability to keep sps, its just personal preference. Metal halides are more intense, but T5's spread light more evenly, and you can play with bulb combinations to get that perfect color.

I would either recommend a MH pendant, there are a ton of them to choose from, or a 4 bulb T5 fixture

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

If you are worried about the heat and don't feel like going rimless you could look at doing a DIY LED which would be well under $300.

You would need about 13 CREE XP* LEDs, 8RB 5CW + a heatsink + a driver

that would get you very nice light and you can keep a variety of corals. I would think that would be under $150 most places.

qwiksilver711

I just made my own hanging kit. I used electrical conduit and a pipe bender... Cost me maybe 30 bucks including paint and the hanging harness

If you are worried about the heat and don't feel like going rimless you could look at doing a DIY LED which would be well under $300.

You would need about 13 CREE XP* LEDs, 8RB 5CW + a heatsink + a driver

that would get you very nice light and you can keep a variety of corals. I would think that would be under $150 most places.

I do plan on going rimless actually. Otherwise I would go with the nanotuners upgrade and call it good.

I'm thinking about going with a DIY LED system, but the issue I'm having is getting a way to suspend the entire system. I have no access to a workshop, though I suppose I could hire a shop to bend some piping and build one. I wonder if I could take a suitable floorlamp and gut it then remove the head and run the wiring through that and hang it from the end? Might take up too much space though.

Argg...never mind

I managed to crack one of the rounded corners in the acrylic while removing the rim.

I think I'll just save up a few hundred more bucks and buy one of those nice all in one rimless tanks. Grrr

Luckily, It isn't too deep of a crack so I'll probably just seal the crack and use it for a frag tank later or a quarantine.

Argg...never mind

I managed to crack one of the rounded corners in the acrylic while removing the rim.

I think I'll just save up a few hundred more bucks and buy one of those nice all in one rimless tanks. Grrr

Luckily, It isn't too deep of a crack so I'll probably just seal the crack and use it for a frag tank later or a quarantine.

Biocubes aren't acrylic. They are glass. If you cracked a corner, that tank is done. As soon as you put water in it, it will split, and you will have a very wet room as a result.

Archived