Top Shelf Aquatics

just bought a timer

jrumpf

I just bought a timer. My plan, i suppose, is to leave the moon LED's on all the time and put the daytime lights on during the day. How long should I make it daylight for?

12g nc dx. want to do mix of fish and soft corals.

Currently I have it being daylight from 6 am to 10pm (when I am awake.) is this ok?

What type of lights do you have?

14 hours is a long photoperiod. In the tropics, day length is close to 12 hours all year, so that is a more natural maximum.

Do u think the photo period cpuld be split up so it is on for 6 hous in the morning and 6 hours in the evening, or does it need to be a continuous 12 hours?

Do u think the photo period cpuld be split up so it is on for 6 hous in the morning and 6 hours in the evening, or does it need to be a continuous 12 hours?

Does the sun rise twice a day?

Does the sun rise twice a day?

a "rest" of 2-4 hours during the photo period can actually be beneficial for most softies. or so i've read.

at the end of the day it's your tank. Do what you want & what makes you happy

I have mine set for about 7 hours a day. I did read about setting it so the lights are on for 4 hours then off and then back on for another 4 hours. Might give it a try.

Linky?

Google.

But yes, people do, in fact, run 2 photo periods per day for extra growth. And no, the sun does not rise twice a day.

Back on topic, I run all 4 bulbs from 2p-8p with ~4 additional hours of blues on either end of that and moonlights otherwise.

I tried researching it for a couple minutes. Didn't come up with much other than a couple people saying, "yeah it works" or not recommending it because it burns out the bulbs twice as fast.

Just seems unnatural to me...

I've read this before as well... I want to say it was an article -

Anyhow, the logic was that coral benefit the most from the lighting from the first couple of hours the most and that by giving the photoperiod a break you are in affect doubling the benefit of the lighting.

I don't know how much truth there is to it. But I can see the logic.

Archived