Innovative Marine Aquariums

Signs of a healthy coral

mgraff00

I read on here all of the time of healthy corals and sick corals. I guess I just want to know what are the signs of them being healthy. For example, if i purchase a new zoa how do I determine the best placement? Do I stick it somewhere and if it opens quickly does that mean thats a good healthy place for it. Also, does that mean it's getting enough light. It seems extremely basic to me but at the same time I don't really know what I'm looking for.

signs of an unhealthy coral are bleaching or fading (loss of zooxanthellea algae), skeleton starting to show, browing out (sometimes due to not enough light), or simply the coral just melting away or breaking apart. Also, if a coral closes up and doesnt reopen for awhile that could be a sign that nitrates are high or some other parameter is off.

Thanks. I guess what I should of asked was: Is there visually a way to make sure my corals are getting enough light, food and flow? Is polyps opening up and them having good color a good indication of health?

Thanks. I guess what I should of asked was: Is there visually a way to make sure my corals are getting enough light, food and flow? Is polyps opening up and them having good color a good indication of health?

both of those are good signs of coral health. You have to take into consideration all the factors that go into coral health though, and sometimes it can be tricky to tell what's bothering it. You have to consider lighting, flow, parameters, pests, CuC that may be disturbing it, and diet.

For zoas, if they look good, chances are they are good, if the polyp is extending its base, it needs more light, if it closes and doesn't reopen, it could be params or pests.

Archived