Quarintine Tank Size for small fish/inverts

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

Hello,

I am planning on adding some shrimp to my 20 gallon as well as a two clownfish. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and a 5 gallon tank in the garage. Would these be big enough for one clown? If not how big of a tank/container should I use?thanks!

I personally think a 10g would be min requirements for a QT. The idea is to not only just quarantine the fish for signs of disease, but to give them a comfortable environment to 'relax' in from the stressful transfers from lfs (or wherever) to you, or from any other stress from transportation of the fish in a 'baggie' to a tank. With that said, a 2.5 or a 5gallon would be too small. You'd want to quarantine for at least 3 weeks (some argue 6 weeks to be the bare minimum) and being cooped up in a small tank would be just that much more stress.

I'm personally starting a QT with a 10g for my 20g long. I've done some research, and the recommended size for a decent QT is actually 20g!! But, 10g is used frequently, keeping in mind that its literally 10g of water.. no live rock or sand taking up any of that space.

hth

kriskristofferzen

Thanks for the responses everybody. I have an old 10 gallon. I think I will use that. I plan on having a heater, some pvc pieces, and of course ro/di saltwater. Would a HOB filter be ok to use, or should I use an airstone and sponge filter for less flow to decrease the stress for a new fish?

thanks!

Thanks for the responses everybody. I have an old 10 gallon. I think I will use that. I plan on having a heater, some pvc pieces, and of course ro/di saltwater. Would a HOB filter be ok to use, or should I use an airstone and sponge filter for less flow to decrease the stress for a new fish?

thanks!

oops. What about lighting, would a stock hood flourescent light be ok or more or less lighting for the new fishies? thanks!

Archived