Cultivated Reef

boost led fell in tank, time to take it apart,

lizardfish

i was using to to show someone some coral i was selling in a clip on lamp and bumped it :o 48 in front of a fan didnt save it so i took it apart, the leds are mounted on a 2" disk .030" thick like a big 20mm star the rest is boostled need to know info lol (yea anyone could take it apart and find out but i dont want to piss off boostled) it has 5 leds 3rb 2 7500k. with short +/- wires. my diy led light fell in my tank today so i had to take it apart and clean it so i screwed the boost led disk to my diy led heatsink wired it in with 7 cree leds with a meanwell 700mA driver and it fired up!!! the white leds are brighter to the human eye than cree. and since the leds are so close together color blending is awesome!

for ppl who dont know how to solder this is perfect just splice the wires to a driver.

or wire it to a 9-12v 200-400mA. wall wort (ac to dc converter) and it becomes a super thin refugium light for those tight spaces like in a biocube.. :P

I have taken them apart to replace optics, but that's as far as I got. How easy do you thin it would be to remove/replace a single LED on the disc?

i will have pic's when i start me new 10g sps reef thread.

by the looks of it it would be easy to remove a led and add a new one you just have to buy a led that is not on a star or anything .

i should of done that but after opening it i see that some capacitors where fried so it wouldnt of mattered.

• 2 weeks later...
Should have given it a freshwater dip and tossed it in the oven, like I do my cell phones lol

An even more effective way is the freshwater bath, followed with a bath in denatured alcohol (the stuff you get at the big box stores)-- -the alcohol won't likely damage the electrical components, but it displaces the water from the freshwater bath.... and dries much, much quicker.

An even more effective way is the freshwater bath, followed with a bath in denatured alcohol (the stuff you get at the big box stores)-- -the alcohol won't likely damage the electrical components, but it displaces the water from the freshwater bath.... and dries much, much quicker.

..then dry it in a sack of rice....the rice absorbs any remaining moisture

^I've heard that before and it makes perfect sense. I haven't tried it yet... which means I haven't baptized any electronics lately. A good thing I guess..... Just stay away from my sushi rice :)

Archived