Coral Vue Hydros

Getting a canon t2i or...?

Carlton'sTank

Carlton'sTank

I am getting a t2i for sure but need some advice. Should i get the kit or should I get the body only and get my own lenses separately. If you know of any reasonably priced lens suggestions I would appreciate it. I will be using the camera for a little bit of everything and really want to learn more about photography. After researching this camera seems like a good fit for me to learn on without braking the bank. Thanks.

I am getting a t2i for sure but need some advice. Should i get the kit or should I get the body only and get my own lenses separately. If you know of any reasonably priced lens suggestions I would appreciate it. I will be using the camera for a little bit of everything and really want to learn more about photography. After researching this camera seems like a good fit for me to learn on without braking the bank. Thanks.

If your just starting out with photography, i would just stick with the kit.

The kit lens is a good lens, until you figure out what which route you want to go later.

Here is a good website for canon users, you can learn lots from it.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

My girlfriend just got this camera and I've been playing with it lately ( : it's a great camera so far. I don't know much about photography so I can't tell you what's really good or not about the kit verse just the body but we have the factory lense and it take great pics. I can only imagine this camera with a good macro lense. Looking forward to getting one.

Carlton'sTank

I have the Rebel xt and have taken a few photography classes back in college but I am not anywhere near advanced. I would like a macro lens, but I honestly see myself getting more use from a telephoto lens than I would a macro lens. Not sure which route I am going to go. I have found the body for as low as $500 but mostly around $600 and the kit for about $700-$800 depending on some extras. I will probably look for a kit that has the stock lens plus a basic telephoto and go from there.

Carlton'sTank
grab a nifty fifty mm 1.8 probably the best 100 dollars you can spend. very sharp.

so, is there a specific name or just the nifty fifty mm1.8? Thanks for giving me a specific item to look for. Now it is research time...

I'm in the same boat as you, decided to go for the t2i also. You need to decide what you are taking photos of and your budget. I've decided to go for the kit and then save up for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L (non IS) and I'm still researching what macro I want. If you are looking for a good all around travel lens the EF-S 18-200mm is a good choice. This is the 50mm lens tolson83 is talking about http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AFU.html .

Carlton'sTank

Thanks for the info. I am just going for all-around to start off with. Now that I will have a quality camera I will be able to experiment and see what I find myself photographing most. I will probably go with the kit and see if I can find one that is pre-used and has some extras such as battery grip etc.

+1 on the 50mm 1.8 you cant beat the price and sharpness of the lens.

i just parted with my t1i (due to some income lacking a couple months back) Great camera an the kit lens was surprisingly good. Took great macros with it too. If you need to get a little closer you can always get a screw on diopter kit for the lens. that way you can reduce the focal point with less money out of your wallet :)

I had the 50mm 1.8 and got a diopter for it.. since its fast enough to not need a flash in most situations you can get some really nice macros with it.

Carlton'sTank

Awesome! I am looking to spend about $900 max to see what I can get. I am going to shop around for a used kit and see what I can find in the next week or two.

other than the hd video option with the camera (which i never used) I dont think when i replace my camera that i will get another of the t1/t2 line.

I found the camera controlls to be too different from the 10d that i had. I think i will probably buy another 10d when i get back into it. The screen size on the t1i was nice.. but i really didnt like how cheap it felt in my hands and how small it was. I missed the magnesium body of the 10d and the controls were far easier to use on it.

people get distracted by mega pixel numbers but unless you plan to print your images bigger than 8x10 at full res you really dont need anything over 8mp

just some food for thought.

if it were me getting back into it i would pick up a good 10d bundle and save a ton of money to put toward more lenses.

if you find later on that you want to upgrade the body you can do just that. the ef lenses will work on the newer efs bodies :)

Carlton'sTank

I do like to print large pictures, that is a big reason why I like the more megapixels. I also plan on shooting some video for action sports such as snowboarding, motocross etc. I am going to stick with the t2i and see how I like it.

Carlton'sTank

There is a local guy selling a kit with 4 year best buy warranty etc. for $650. I am going to give him an call and see if we can work something out. I will still have enough extra money to grab a lens and a nice bag.

There is a local guy selling a kit with 4 year best buy warranty etc. for $650. I am going to give him an call and see if we can work something out. I will still have enough extra money to grab a lens and a nice bag.

Ohhh wow lucky haha. Best buy has them on sale right now so away goes my PS3 in trade for a nice dslr. :)

Carlton'sTank

Now I have a bit a wrench in my plan. I have been researching and looking at a number of different cameras, particularly the Canon t2i or the Nikon D90. The D90 with accessories and lenses is just a bit out of my price range. I did stumble across a good deal (I think) on a Nikon d200. I have read many reviews comparing the Canon t2i to the D200 and there are a few things that I like about each. I can get the D200 for $650 with lens accessories etc while I would pay about $700-750 for the Canon. I also like the heavier, more durable body of the D200 and after reading many arguments it seems that the 18mp of the Canon is just a big selling point. So, I am stuck and I am wanting to pull the trigger on one of the two cameras, input please. Thanks

Christopher Marks

The D200 is 4 years old, I'd say there's been big improvements in image sensors, metering systems, and autofocus mechanisms, etc. since then. The D200 is sturdier and larger because it's a different class of camera, just an older one. 10.2 megapixels is quite usable, but consider the potential benefits of nearly doubling that. The bigger question is, what lens does the D200 come with?

One thing to consider is if you know anyone with Nikon and/or Canon gear that you might be able to borrow lenses from occasionally. Sometimes that can sway you to one brand or another.

Carlton'sTank
The D200 is 4 years old, I'd say there's been big improvements in image sensors, metering systems, and autofocus mechanisms, etc. since then. The D200 is sturdier and larger because it's a different class of camera, just an older one. 10.2 megapixels is quite usable, but consider the potential benefits of nearly doubling that. The bigger question is, what lens does the D200 come with?

One thing to consider is if you know anyone with Nikon and/or Canon gear that you might be able to borrow lenses from occasionally. Sometimes that can sway you to one brand or another.

Good call. Thanks for the advice.

Carlton'sTank

Still up in the air about what camera to get in general. I thought that reading reviews would help, but it honestly has made me more confused. I just got rid of my rebel xt. I liked the xt, but it was beat up and not taken care of. I have been looking at the following canon cameras: t1i, t2i, 50d, 60d. Nikon I have looked at the D3100, D5000 and D90. I am an amateur at best but I do enjoy photography and want a camera that I can learn with. I am expecting to get something I can have for the next 3 or so years or until I feel the need to upgrade. My max budget would be $900, but I would ideally like to buy a cheaper camera and get myself some accessories as well. This process is a bit overwhelming but I want to make a choice that I am happy with.

Carlton'sTank

I stopped second guessing and I just went with the t2i. It is what I wanted originally for a number of different reasons and I was able to get best buy to price match so I got it new for close to the same amount that I was going to buy a used one off of craigslist. I figured that this will be a good camera for me to learn on for a couple years then I can upgrade and give this one to my girlfriend. I am excited about the camera and am now going to be getting myself another lens and a few accessories.

Anyone have suggestions for most useful accessories. Here is my list:

50mm F1.8 lens

Battery grip (extra batteries)

sd card

blower

lens cleaning kit

UV filters

better bag

Carlton'sTank
An R strap

Thank you.

So, I ordered a different camera bag, a battery grip, the 1.8 lens, some extra sd cards and some uv filters. I will loot into the r-strap this week.

I am excited to get back into photography and see if I can't come up with some nice shots.

Archived