Cultivated Reef

Sean151's 10G AIO

sean151

can i get the measurements on the false wall you used

I used the pdf from the first post in this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163815

I wish I would have gone with the 12 notches instead of 10 and the length and height were too short for me so I had to use more silicone than I wanted to. After using it I see it as much better than most others, but don't cut it all the way at first so you get a snug fit.

Decided to try some moonlight pictures before I head over to school and setup up again. Having some algae issues with the addition of my old Current USA 18"x2 T-5 light with it's old bulbs, hoping wc and new bulbs will help. Took me about 10 minutes of finally figuring out a setting that didn't get washed out so badly and showed the fluorescent colors.

New SPS (ORA Greenbirdsnest in background/sunset monti in foreground):

DSCN1582.jpg

RPE's:

DSCN1576.jpg

Unknown(GMFM?) + new acan + wammin' watermellons:

DSCN1578.jpg

Tons of "Green Men from Mars":

DSCN1575.jpg

Rest of the tank:

DSCN1581.jpg

FTS:

DSCN1587.jpg

Just moved everything back to college. I sumped my peppermint shrimp last week and couldn't get him out before the move and he died on the way over, along with a very small HH crab. Snail survived in the sump so must have just been too much moving water in the tank (3"). Everything else seem fine after the trip and even better with a new blue bulb added to the T-5 fixture to replace the aging 10K. I tried the 12K first but it wouldn't fire up, but was getting warm so I switched it with the other blue I bought. Now to try the purple sometime to finalize the new color combo.

Some great shots in your previous post! Glad the move went pretty well, could definitely have been worse.

Thanks for compliments, first time I was able to really figure my camera all the way out. It was move number 9 for this tank so I have quite a lot of practice at this point. Next move will be December most likely. I was most afraid of my SPS and LPS during the move but only my softies really seemed stressed from the move.

• 2 weeks later...
Clownfish 11790

Hey. How far is your trip to college? How much time does it take from taking it down to setting it up?

I'm a college reefer too and was wondering if you had any tips! Thanks.

Hey. How far is your trip to college? How much time does it take from taking it down to setting it up?

I'm a college reefer too and was wondering if you had any tips! Thanks.

My trip is about 5.5 hours, worse in the Winter. Put all moving livestock (fish, shrimp) in plastic bags and a Styrofoam container or a thick bucket (like the huge salt buckets). I put all my live rock in one buck, another thick and sturdy one, with the loco lobo rock being placed at the top. All coral frags, as that's all I ever pretty much allow, go in a separate bucket, can be thinner (i.e. Lowes). I am in the process of getting specimen cups to put my more loved frags into and down the road the SPS will go in the Styrofoam container once it's too large for the specimen cups. Tear down takes longer than setup. I take about 4 hours to tear down now, but I do a lot of prep packing of unneeded equipment like food, carbon, filter floss, ect. Mentally space everything out and prepare for every step before you do it. I personally mix a 20% batch of new water and put 75% of that in the coral bucket and 25% in the rock bucket. Once I get the tank setup I put carbon and floss in immediately to pick up a lot of crap from the rocks and corals. Make another water change for sometime soon after and relax.

Feel free to pm, direct me to your tank thread or ask here for more help if you would like it.

sean are you the sean that had that goldfish avy?

No, I have never had an avatar in almost any forums I post on. Strangely, I have also never owned a goldfish. :huh:

• 1 year later...

Algae is annoying and never trust someone locally taking down their tank for maintenance reasons, bryopsis everywhere grew up from that rock. Also, I got bubble algae from a frag at SEAMAX 2011 and it's mostly gone away. I've been doing a lot of Hyrogen Peroxide, but it's hard on my candy cane coral. /rant

Not sure how, but my fish is still alive and follows me every time I get upto the tank. Super picky eater and does more staring than swimming towards the food, but a local reefer handed some snails and hermits to me to help clean up after him. Corals are still growing great besides zoas, just the way I kind of want it.

Archived