Coral Vue Hydros

2 lil clowns, too strong current?

jokim

I just got 2 lil occelaris clowns and just put them in the tank, they are about 3/4 of an inch or less

I never realized it before but i have karolia nano 425 and it seems to be to strong for them. is it ok if they look like they have to swim fast cuz of the current? or should i try to downgrade to a 240?

qwiksilver711
I just got 2 lil occelaris clowns and just put them in the tank, they are about 3/4 of an inch or less

I never realized it before but i have karolia nano 425 and it seems to be to strong for them. is it ok if they look like they have to swim fast cuz of the current? or should i try to downgrade to a 240?

unless they are getting blasted against something, they should be fine

They should be fine. My clown loves the current. I will see him swim right in front of the powerhead ride the current accross my tank then swim back and do it agian. If he didn't like the current he could just swim to a differnt part of the tank.

1 more question.

the 1mm formula 1 food is to big for them, i been crushing a couple pellets and its hard for them to get to them.

What food should i get them until they can eat pellets? i have dried and frozen blood worms, is this ok to feed them? should i get some flakes or frozen mysis shrimp?

Try cyclopeeze or rods food.

I dont think I can find it locally and it costs to much to ship frozen.

Is there any other reef foods that are good and most lfs carry them?

I have a koralia 750 in my bc29 and it is not too strong for my juvenile clowns. They will get strong quickly, they're just weird fish.

Also, I feed mine a mix of spectrum 1mm pellets and ocean nutrition formula 2 flakes and I think they like the flakes more. Just smash em up or they'll spit out the big pieces.

I'm suprised someone sold you clowns that small - 3/4 of inch is very small to toss into a standard reef. I just sold a clown to someone that was at least an inch and he had to reduce his flow a little to accomadate her.

That being said - I do introduce my clowns low or moderate flow at about the size of yours and they do fine.

They sell new life spectrum pellets in .5mm, they just don't say marine on them. My clowns eat them like crack and my little one is around an inch or so.

Research before you buy.

Yes, i did this and everyone seems to want the 420,

They seem to have found a spot that they like.

Gonna go for some cyclopeeze bar, and maybie the .5 spectrum pellet.

you can get the spectrum pellets from petco pretty cheap, the store by me has the tiny mouth ones your talking about for 5 or 6 bucks a jar.

I just moved some things in the tank and added chemipure into the back. one of my fish is swimming funny, like has to use its whole body and long flaps to keep swimming. its head bobs up and down and doesnt seem to have a sense of direction. it sometimes bumps against the rock and glass. is this just a stressed fish or is it something more?

it common to see them do that, you changed there enviroment so now they have o learn to be brave all over agaon. my maroon does that if i move her pot just a little. gets all crazy and stays in the corner.

Clowns act REALLY weird so it takes some getting used to. When they start to pair up and the female is showing dominance over the male then you'll probably get scared. It looks like the male has seizures and sometimes swims really weird. It's all normal though, clowns are just weird.

Yeah they looked fine this morning. i just want to make sure they are happy since i just got them this weekend and they are tiny!.

Yes, i did this and everyone seems to want the 420,

They seem to have found a spot that they like.

Gonna go for some cyclopeeze bar, and maybie the .5 spectrum pellet.

What a load of ####. You didn't research or otherwise the simplistic issue of what to feed them wouldn't pop up. Rhetorical questions: Did you ask to see them fed before purchase? Did you QT them before introduction? You might have reasearched for like 10 minutes, but I've got $5 that says you saw them in the LFS, found a store person, said "Two, please!" and left.

What a load of ####. You didn't research or otherwise the simplistic issue of what to feed them wouldn't pop up. Rhetorical questions: Did you ask to see them fed before purchase? Did you QT them before introduction? You might have reasearched for like 10 minutes, but I've got $5 that says you saw them in the LFS, found a store person, said "Two, please!" and left.

why are you being a dick?

i do admit that i have a lot to learn on reef tanks. i know i can keep 2 clowns alive and healthy. i'm asking questions just to make sure and i like to repeat the same same questions over and over, as my friend said.

Thats what this forum is for. learning and researching.

i was planning on feeding pellets .1 mil and they are way to big for the clowns. I was planning on crushing them but i did not like that idea since some of the peices were to big and some of it was just breaking up in the water. not a fan of flake food and didn't want to get any frozen foods. i know clowns eat just about anything, i do not want to just feed them anything.

why are you being a dick?

i do admit that i have a lot to learn on reef tanks. i know i can keep 2 clowns alive and healthy. i'm asking questions just to make sure and i like to repeat the same same questions over and over, as my friend said.

Thats what this forum is for. learning and researching.

i was planning on feeding pellets .1 mil and they are way to big for the clowns. I was planning on crushing them but i did not like that idea since some of the peices were to big and some of it was just breaking up in the water. not a fan of flake food and didn't want to get any frozen foods. i know clowns eat just about anything, i do not want to just feed them anything.

Research, then buy...or don't buy. The forum is full of people who did the exact opposite, and frankly, it's getting a little old. If you were asking what to feed small clowns you were planning on purchasing we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Research, then buy...or don't buy. The forum is full of people who did the exact opposite, and frankly, it's getting a little old. If you were asking what to feed small clowns you were planning on purchasing we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If you don't like reading the same questions over and over then stay the **** out of the beginners section. You are contributing nothing other than being an a hole.

lol cry moar, esp you NRC you little puss.

It's soild advice, whether you can admit it or not. Stop doing stupid #### and getting defensive when you get called out.

Archived