Top Shelf Aquatics

manderin in biocube?

qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711

I understand the difficulty of keeping manderin fish. My question, is is a bc14 big enough for it? if it was trained to eat frozen, what is the comfortable tank size for this fish.

Only chance to keep a mandarin would be to have a big fuge with tons of pods and be able to train it to frozen foods. I would say highly unlikely because a mandarin would wipe out a biocube 14 pod population quite fast.

qwiksilver711
Only chance to keep a mandarin would be to have a big fuge with tons of pods and be able to train it to frozen foods. I would say highly unlikely because a mandarin would wipe out a biocube 14 pod population quite fast.

i understand the pod population issues, my main question i guess is would the fish be comfortable in a tank that size. like is the tank big enough for the fish... not the pop population... the tank

i understand the pod population issues, my main question i guess is would the fish be comfortable in a tank that size. like is the tank big enough for the fish... not the pop population... the tank

Yea. Mine eats frozen. Bought him for $7.00 on a whim. He already was trained or just picked it up. I didnt take extra steps in training.

qwiksilver711
Yea. Mine eats frozen. Bought him for $7.00 on a whim. He already was trained or just picked it up. I didnt take extra steps in training.

is it in your 29? my concern here guys is i dont want to put the fish in a smaller tank than is humane... ie putting a tang in a 14... is it going to be cruel or overly stressful for it to live in a 14gallon setup

even if he is trained on frozen i would still convert one of the rear chambers into a fuge just for some extra pods for him, a 14g isnt too small for a mandarin size wise but i wouldnt put but 1-2 small fish in there with it in such a small tank.

qwiksilver711
even if he is trained on frozen i would still convert one of the rear chambers into a fuge just for some extra pods for him, a 14g isnt too small for a mandarin size wise but i wouldnt put but 1-2 small fish in there with it in such a small tank.

i've got 2 clowns in there right now, i wasnt planning on adding anything else, but a manderin would be nice, just contemplating it, at the moment

qwiksilver711
ora is selling them now pretrained tank raised mandarin btw...

+1 thats what i plan on getting, just have to find out if my lfs can order ora, and if not i'll have to find one online. also, what is a good varied diet of frozen for them? i have some mysis i tried to feed my clowns, but the clowns are too small still, so i have a bunch for the manderin. but what else is good to feed them. I have done some research about them on this site, but am just wondering what people here have been successful with

pheonixsoul25

yeah jus bought mine today from lfs was already eating rods food. he is in my 65 till my biocube cycles just set it up today and ora has red mandarin btw

qwiksilver711
yeah jus bought mine today from lfs was already eating rods food. he is in my 65 till my biocube cycles just set it up today and ora has red mandarin btw

not a big fan of the red ones, i want one of the blue ones, i'll have to see if my lfs carries rods food

i kept one in my 29bc and pellet trained it from scratch, they are very slow moving and docile, a 14 would be fine as far as space goes. Man, I miss that fish :(, damn flatworms

qwiksilver711
i kept one in my 29bc and pellet trained it from scratch, they are very slow moving and docile, a 14 would be fine as far as space goes. Man, I miss that fish :(, damn flatworms

cool, i'm going to order some pellets and rods food in a few weeks, then i'm going to see if my lfs can get ora stuff

qwiksilver711
try marine S, from my experience, most finnicky eaters accept it eventually, that's what I got my mandarin onto anyways

marine s? is that a pellet food? do you have a link? google pulls marine corps stuff

qwiksilver711
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...cfm?pcatid=4301

It's a hikari pellet, A is for larger fish, while S is for smaller.

If you can't get an ora, its not too hard to train them onto frozen, its getting them to accept pellets that's the tricky part IME

thanks for the link, i got a sample of the s stuff from saltwatercritters.com when i ordered a light bulb from them. tell me what you think about this, I was planning on getting a breeding net box thing from wal mart, and hanging that in my tank, and putting the manderin in there, so i can make sure he eats the frozen i am giving him, and after a few days, introduce him into the tank. also fwiw my tank is like 2 months old, so there isnt much of a pod population at all, so he would have to eat frozen only pretty much

that sounds better than just intoducing him right away, just to ensure he is eating. With mine, I just put him in there, and at first I wasnt even planning on pellet trainin him because I plumbed in a 20 gallon behind my biocube, and thought it would support a large enough pod population.

imo, you should try to feed him rods and artemia as well as brine, since brine isn't all that nutritious, but once you get him onto a pellet, most are geared towards a complete nutrition for fish.

qwiksilver711
that sounds better than just intoducing him right away, just to ensure he is eating. With mine, I just put him in there, and at first I wasnt even planning on pellet trainin him because I plumbed in a 20 gallon behind my biocube, and thought it would support a large enough pod population.

imo, you should try to feed him rods and artemia as well as brine, since brine isn't all that nutritious, but once you get him onto a pellet, most are geared towards a complete nutrition for fish.

thanks for the advice, i'm really hoping i can make this work out, i'd be sad if he didnt eat and died... but the way i see it is that if i buy one and if it wont eat, and doesnt make it then he probably wouldnt have made it with whoever my lfs sold it to either, because there really isnt that many experienced reefers near me... most are noobs and just kill fish after fish anyway

Archived