Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

bananahands

I feel your pain. My fiance (now wife) was always on my case about the tanks. I mean so what if I had 5 tanks running at once(holding tanks), what's the big deal??? :lol:

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear the move had some hangups brother. Wish I was a little closer and I'd be able to give you a hand with the next round.

Looking forward to seeing the 75 come together.

Thanks. All is well. The 150 is nice but a pain to work in. The 75 is very clean looking and I do miss my rimless. The rimless tanks just make things look bigger than they are anyway. Waiting to hear quotes back from the store on stand and such. Depends on where the better deal comes from because I can either sell it or trade it to the store for the new setup. I already have some nice aquascaping ideas in mind. Two branching islands should leave it roomy and looking nice.

SpringFever

Sorry for all the trouble, Dan. Glad to hear you worked out a solutions that keeps both your woman and reef... Best of both worlds!

Fish are all hanging in there and show no signs of stress amazingly. Any montiporas that were

left are gone. Softies are doing fine. Pretty sure the tailspot died in the move and I found what was left of the fire shrimp. Only a few sps left in this tank that are holding up. The best of my stuff got moved and is doing well. Still trying to hammer down a deal on the new tank with the LFS. Trading used for new is never easy.

Fish are all hanging in there and show no signs of stress amazingly. Any montiporas that were

left are gone. Softies are doing fine. Pretty sure the tailspot died in the move and I found what was left of the fire shrimp. Only a few sps left in this tank that are holding up. The best of my stuff got moved and is doing well. Still trying to hammer down a deal on the new tank with the LFS. Trading used for new is never easy.

Are these inhabitants still in Michael/Pearson's tanks, or have you moved something back to your place?

If you're having trouble with Atlantis or Fish World ($$$$$$ugh), have you thought about calling Victor at VAquatics? I just bought my new ballast/bulb from him for a pretty good deal, and he is really a stand-up guy who is not trying to rake you over the coals in price. Also is very knowledgeable. That being said, i don't know what he sells in terms of tank, but it would be worth asking, maybe?

Fish are all still in the 150. Corals are with Pearson and Michael.

Just waiting on some answers from Atlantis. I will use Victor for fish in the future though because his deals can't be beat. It will all get fixed.

Just waiting on some answers from Atlantis. I will use Victor for fish in the future though because his deals can't be beat. It will all get fixed.

agreed on that. we talked for 20 minutes yesterday about his fish/distribution. hard to beat what he's able to get. invert prices were unbelievable (e.g. cleaner/fire shrimp for $17 instead of $35+ from Atlantis) plus there's the 7 day guarantee.

let me know if you're ordering any fish from him -- if i'm ready to add something, maybe we can split shipping cost.

I'll let you know when I get ready. $150 vs $250 on a flame wrasse, $20 for a Christmas wrasse, $20 for a lubbocks, and $10 for a yellow coris wrasse isn't bad. I still have a divers den gift card to use first but I'll let you know. I think shipping is only $15 from him or he will deliver it himself depending on what it is.

Well I will be taking this bad boy down during the week. I will be dropping it off Saturday and hopefully picking up the new rimless then. I just want to make sure my stand will come in on time. The rimless has optipure (low iron aka star fire) glass on all four sides from what I've been reading. It's 1/2" thick glass. I will have to paint the backside of the tank blank and it should look nicer that way. I will be keeping my giessemann light fixture to hang over this tank. Essentially this tank is the same as my shallow rimless only 10" taller. Hopefully there will be no mini cycle like I had on the 150 but I will be checking before moving my corals back in the new tank.

I will have to paint the backside of the tank blank and it should look nicer that way.

Have you considered doing black adhesive vinyl rather than paint? It is simple to install with a spray bottle of soapy water, squeegee, and razor blade. The benefit is that it is removeable if need be and paint has a tendancy to scratch sometimes if you plant to use any kind of magnetized powerheads on the back wall.

I have some at home and may try it out first for looks. I believe I cut it though so I may pick some new window tint up from home depot this weekend depending on the size. I wouldn't paint it but don't want to look at any hanging cords.

Did you see the price victor had on a lineatus? $144 is an awesome deal. Killer prices with him.

I understand wanting to hide cords...whatever works paint, vinyl, tint.

I did see those prices, they are great! I am just in a holding pattern until I get my 58g up and running. Things are just taking longer than expected to get everything the way I want it.

Almost completely emptied the 150 tonight. All fish and rock have been moved to the 40 and 33. I still need to empty the sump and about 30 gallons of water. I also need to remove all the sand. I plan on storing it in a brute with the left over water, a heater, and a pump. The stand didn't come in so I will have to pick it up on Wednesday. I should be ready for the trade in on Saturday. The 75 is all that will come home with me.

I know you will be happy when all this moving around is complete and can enjoy one (nice rimless) tank.

Are you still going to be able to use the sump you had on the 150 in the 75 stand?

Yes I will. The sump will fit nicely in the new stand. I'm tempted to pick up Jon's calcium reactor if I can sell my chiller. I want the next tank to be done real nice and kick it into overdrive a bit.

The 150 is completely empty now. Tired of moving things. Gotta wait on the stand but the tank will come home with me.

I've decided to do this tank right so My chiller is sold as of tomorrow and I will be picking up this in it's place:

Geo calcium reactor package. It has a built-in Ph probe holder w/new Ph probe, a built-in bubble counter, an Eheim 1048 recirc pump, and a brand new Maxi-jet 1200 feed pump. The Milwaukee MA-957 regulator w/electronic solenoid, and 3/4 full CO2 bottle was purchased used from another local reefer. A 1 gallon container of reactor media, as well as a Pinpoint Ph Monitor, the monitor itself is new, but it does NOT have a Ph probe.

I want to maximize the growth in this tank and this should help.

Still got a to do list with this tank. I want replace the stock ballasts on the giesemann. I've been looking at replacing them with a galaxy dual 250 watt ballast. It will save me on space and should run silent. I need to build a skimmer stand, a screen top, paint the back of the tank, and build a light hanger.

I will have to do some reading up on calcium reactors since this will be my first experience with one. I am excited to see the results I get with one. It should be great since its very much a set it and forget it type of thing. Stable parameters throughout the day.

I like the way this is looking. Good solid equipment and a chance to start things fresh in terms of rock and aquascaping.

Got the tank home and the old one out. I really like this new tank other than the large overflow. Three sides (front, right, and left) are all low iron with the back being your standard glass. All the edges are bevelled. I can't wait for the stand to show up. Got a run to pick up some krylon and paint this back. I also need to pick up some conduit for light hangers.

I got the back glass painted black. I'll check later to see if it needs another coat of paint. I also picked up a couple bars of 3/4" conduit tubing for the light hangers. I plan on having the tank done and ready for when I get the stand on Wednesday.

A couple coats of paint came out looking great and clean. Just need to bend the conduit in the next day or so and probably paint it black. This should look nice and clean when it's up. Gonna make this thing a beauty.

Just wanted to say I'm a proud VCU alumni right about now.

Looking for some recommendations on skimmer stand design. The super reef octopus is touchy when it comes to water level so I want to make a skimmer stand to really take advantage of it.

I plan on using different live rock than before what was in my 40. It will be more branching. I want to only use a few existing pieces from the 40 to give it a new look, cutdown on algae, and open it up some.

I plan on bending two pieces of 3/4" conduit pipe for 90 degree hangers that will attach to the stand. The giessemann is pretty heavy (~50 lbs) so I wanted more sturdy conduit. I'm going to paint it black.

I'm also looking into designing an actinic strip of LEDs that are dimmable for supplementation and moon lights. They would attach to the back of the tank similar to a clip on lamp but be elevated enough that you wouldn't see them below the fixture.

Sand that was in the 150 will be used again (only used it two weeks).

I will use a rio 2100 for a return pump controlled using a ball valve. I will start out using an mp40 and maybe a mp10 for circulation for the tank.

Sump will have plenty of room for the equipment, heater, and some extra rockwork.

The stand is a Monterey series stand that marineland puts out. With a 30" sump I should have enough room for the calcium reactor setup and my biopellet reactor. I will kick off the whole system with some bacterial additives and fresh biopellets.

I really want to do this right. Once everything is up I will build a screen top and hopefully soon replace the ballasts with one galaxy dual 250 watt ballast.

Once everything is up and

Archived