Cultivated Reef

Heat Sink for Bridgelux 1203 LED?

Machupicchu

Im planning on doing an LED cell similar to evils experimental DIY kit http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...57668&st=20

But with only one cell consisting of one bridgelux n1203 and 12 xre-rb. Im going to lay them out similar to this fixture yet with more space between the royals and the bridgelux in order to fit 12 in.

Im going to use a 1/4" aluminum plate as a base but i know i will need a good heatsink placed above the bridgelux as it is very powerful and i plan on running it past 1 amp eventually.

Is there a specific minimum size of a heatsink i should use, or how would i know by looking at a heatsink if it would be adequate? i dont have too much money to experiment with. I hoping to keep the sink under 3 inches tall and less than 8x8 inches. I know there are plenty of PC heatsinks out there that would fit the description but i dont know how efficient they would be.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance, Chris.

have you checked out heatsink usa? i found 2 heatsinks on their site that are close to your size requirements that arent too expensive.

this one is roughly 7x7

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/storename/heats...l-10502733.aspx

and this one is roughly 8x8

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/storename/heats...l-10502782.aspx

these should be more than enough for your needs and if you feel you need extra cooling for the bridgelux you can place a small PC fan directly over where the bridgelux will be placed

Hah, i just got done checking that place but you beat me to it. Ya i saw those, and yes i will be placing a 120mm 80cfm fan in the fixture.

I just plan on turning the bridgelux up to max potential eventually 2000mA, and wanted to make sure this would be enough.

The 7 incher looks good, i could even fit the blues under it.

Why might it not look good? I might have to limit it depending on how much current i can run through a d-sub cable anyway, while were on topic however, anyone know where to get alot of this stuff in one place?

Meanwell eln 60-48

Meanwell eln 60-27

Bridgelux and cree leds and lenses

d-sub cables and connectors

9 or 10 volt powersupply

heatsink similar to this HSUSA one^?

I really dont want to have to order from Digikey, RapidLED, HSUSA, Amphenol, and wattsupply.

Why might it not look good? I might have to limit it depending on how much current i can run through a d-sub cable anyway, while were on topic however, anyone know where to get alot of this stuff in one place?

Meanwell eln 60-48

Meanwell eln 60-27

Bridgelux and cree leds and lenses

d-sub cables and connectors

9 or 10 volt powersupply

heatsink similar to this HSUSA one^?

I really dont want to have to order from Digikey, RapidLED, HSUSA, Amphenol, and wattsupply.

I picked up a universal laptop power supply for less than $15 with free shipping

LEDs through ledgroupbuy.com

Heat sink http://www.satisled.com/50w-high-power-led...tsink_p337.html

I know you said you want to use the Bridgelux, it will probably be easier to gather everything if you went all Cree LEDs

Onetrick, what is the laptop supply for? Are you going to try to direct drive the LEDs from it?

Machupicchu, you would probably do just fine with a Heatsinkusa.com unit and a nice fan.

However I'd recommend you went with two Bridgelux 802 instead of the one huge 1202. You'll get better color blending with two 802's flanked by the royal blues.

Either that, or group them with one or two of the Satistronics 10 watt 455nm blues. One 802 mated to two Sastistronic 455 10w would probably look nice.

If he got 3-up Rebel Endor Stars in royal blue, that would allow them to be mounted right up against the 1203, provided that reflectors aren't used.

Don't skimp on the heatsink. Bridgelux design guides call for at least 10" square of radiating surface area (basically, the bottom doesn't count) per watt, and I'd highly suggest sticking to it.

Ill stick with the HSUSA for sure, with a fan, but now you guys are giving me second thoughts on my selection of blues :lol: Im trying to keep it reasonably cheap as this is going to be a prototype my boss is letting me stick in the store to gauge interest in purchasing it.

So basically I need to keep it pretty simple as not to make the price tag unattractive.

What is the benefit of using larger 3 ups or 10 watter blues instead of the xre's? Im guessing blending?

Did you ever get that 4 cell thing mounted over a tank evil??

The ones I have been testing you really need to make sure to use a "good" heatsink. I would rather have six Rebel ES NW super close together thought ;)

I have these particular three up boards that have worked great with them.

d4f19233.jpg

-Dave

Archived