Coral Vue Hydros

Backup Batteries?

kgoldy

Anyone using these to keep their pumps from turning off during a power outage? I'm not very familiar with power draw and how it affects batteries... But my guess is that these might keep a pump or two going for a while. I already have one ecotech backup battery, but I'd like to at least connect my return pump to a backup.

Backup batteries like these...

I used one of those UPS units for a computer for a while, but they would only power my pumps for 20-40 minutes and the units themselves only last a year or two. By the time your power goes out the battery will likely have gone bad... I finally gave up and took mine out...

This one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC+-+1500VA+B...;cp=5&lp=12 has kept my MJ 900 return pump going for up to 6 hours and was still not drained when the power was restored. We have frequent relatively short black outs here so it works well for that because circulation is the immediate problem. The MJ works fine with it but other pumps may not work properly unless the backup puts out a pure sine wave (this one does not) which is even more expensive. Really they just buy you time so you don't have to immediately get your generator going every time if you experience frequent loss of power. If you don't have a generator I'd say spend the money on that first.

This one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC+-+1500VA+B...;cp=5&lp=12 has kept my MJ 900 return pump going for up to 6 hours and was still not drained when the power was restored. We have frequent relatively short black outs here so it works well for that because circulation is the immediate problem. The MJ works fine with it but other pumps may not work properly unless the backup puts out a pure sine wave (this one does not) which is even more expensive. Really they just buy you time so you don't have to immediately get your generator going every time if you experience frequent loss of power. If you don't have a generator I'd say spend the money on that first.

That's actually the exact one that I've got laying around the office with nothing plugged into it...

I do have a generator- But seeing as I've already spent thousands on this setup and it's not even wet yet... I want every level of backup possible.

That's actually the exact one that I've got laying around the office with nothing plugged into it...

I do have a generator- But seeing as I've already spent thousands on this setup and it's not even wet yet... I want every level of backup possible.

Ain't that the truth! I've got a generator, power inverter, ups, and battery air pumps and even then I still worry!

Archived