40 gallon breeder light question

Grom

I'll soon be upgrading my bio-cube 29 to my 40 gallon breeder.I want to keep soft coral lps and sps in the 40 gallon.My concern is that the tank is only 16" tall and that a 6 bulb T5 fixture will burn up the soft coral and a 4 bulb T5 fixture will not be enough light for the sps

Also i found T5/led online but cant seem to find any reviews on it,what do you guys think?

Thanks

Will you have a canopy? Are you reasonably DIY proficient? If so, then retrofits would perhaps be your best option. They would give you the ideal combination of high quality materials, wide choice and low price.

Will you have a canopy? Are you reasonably DIY proficient? If so, then retrofits would perhaps be your best option. They would give you the ideal combination of high quality materials, wide choice and low price.

I'm not going to put a canopy on it,had one on my 125 gal reef and didn't like the way it looked.

On the 40 gallon i want the open top look

I'll soon be upgrading my bio-cube 29 to my 40 gallon breeder.I want to keep soft coral lps and sps in the 40 gallon.My concern is that the tank is only 16" tall and that a 6 bulb T5 fixture will burn up the soft coral and a 4 bulb T5 fixture will not be enough light for the sps

Also i found T5/led online but cant seem to find any reviews on it,what do you guys think?

Thanks

The 6 bulb thing only applies to fixtures with really good reflectors. A six bulb tek will be too powerful for softies and some LPS, but a current nova extreme pro will not. I don't know about how good the aquatic life fixtures are, but when you are only going for four T5s, you can end up underpowered if you pick a fixture with poor reflectors.

i had a Nove Extreem Pro over my 40b and was rather nice

If i decide to go with the 6 bulb fixture its gonna be the nova extreme,I'll mod a R2 on it,maby switch 1 of the 10,000ks with a figi purple.

I still cant decide if i want the 4 or 6 bulb :huh:

Get the six bulb if you have the money for it. It will cover more of the tank and you can just move it higher off the surface of the water if you need to. Also gives you two more color choices to really get a good balance of growth and aesthetics. Wished I had two more bulbs for some 10000K's.

I have a 6 bulb ATI sunpower, arguably the best T5 fixture in existance... and my softies DO NOT have any problem whatsoever with the high light. I think thats bs. The only coral that may be getting bleached is my green birds nest. Go either 4 or 6 bulbs, it will make no difference. if you want you can even swap out a bulb or 2 with a lower par output bulb.

I light mine with a 250W MH.... works nicely :-)

I think either a 4 or a 6 bulb T5 would be fine. Just vary your rocks so that some corals can have less light/more light.

I light mine with a 250W MH.... works nicely :-)

I think either a 4 or a 6 bulb T5 would be fine. Just vary your rocks so that some corals can have less light/more light.

funny you should mention that,That fish Place has 36"Metal halide on sale for 50% off pluse free shiping.

Halides were never an option because of the price,this is a sweet opportunity if your looking for Halides B)

Growing SPS and a clam just fine with my cheapo Fishneedit 4 bulb t-5. I use good bulbs though.

+1

I dont have a clam.4 sps pieces and all are growing on the stock bulbs.

Thanks. The bulbs really do make a huge difference. When I switched over I didnt acclimate and burned up a birdnest. Better color and growth.

3 ATI BLUE+

1 ATI 12000K AQUABLUE

1 UV ACTINIC WHITE

1 GE 6500K

Archived