Coral Vue Hydros

administrator please remove thread.thx:)

jonny5er

what would be the negative effects of having a glass lid on top of my tank?i have a bc29 with open top and i run 150 watt mh during the day,i cover the tank up at night with a plastic sheet (cut to size) used to winterize home windows,that works good,but im sick of this bootleg top(bootleg means cheap or ghetto).i just want to know if a glass lid would be a good option,and if it is,would it be ok to run the light while the lid is on?positive input is always welcome.thx in advance to all who reply.

Just as long as it would not form a seal all the way around. You will need some way for gas exchange to occur. If you MH is too close it may get too hot for the glass, but if you keep it reasonably far away from the glass it should not be a problem. I would highly recommend a custom made piece of tempered glass as it will be much sturdier.

what would be the negative effects of having a glass lid on top of my tank?i have a bc29 with open top and i run 150 watt mh during the day,i cover the tank up at night with a plastic sheet (cut to size) used to winterize home windows,that works good,but im sick of this bootleg top(bootleg means cheap or ghetto).i just want to know if a glass lid would be a good option,and if it is,would it be ok to run the light while the lid is on?positive input is always welcome.thx in advance to all who reply.

The BC 29 HQI version comes with a glass canopy which I use. The only issue is keeping it clean which I do about every 3 days. It cuts way down on evaporation and limits jumping fish. There are 2 small vents at the front corners for air exchange and feeding and my six line wrasse apparently got out through one of those...amazing feat.NP with running the lights with the canopy on but you don't want your tank COMPLETELY sealed.

Pros:

-Looks good

-Cuts evaporation

-Prevents jumping

Cons:

-Reduces gas exchange

-Blocks some light

--Requires frequent removal of salt creep (Keeping it cleaner will help with light loss)

I, personally, use one. Just make sure you take the black plastic strip out of the middle if you get one that has it.

Pros:

-Looks good

-Cuts evaporation

-Prevents jumping

Cons:

-Reduces gas exchange

-Blocks some light

--Requires frequent removal of salt creep (Keeping it cleaner will help with light loss)

I, personally, use one. Just make sure you take the black plastic strip out of the middle if you get one that has it.

thank you all for the advice.

Archived