ReefCleaners.org

LFS in Los Angeles?

d0lph1n

Please recommend your favorite local fish stores in Los Angles area, including any city between San Fernando Valley and Redlands.

Thanks

I guess it depends what you are looking for...

On the north end of that area (San Fernando) I don't think there is anything that beats Vivid Aquariums. Their prices are a bit high on some pieces but they have really nice stuff and the display tank is worth the trip.

You can also try to set up an appointment to see Wet Thumb Frags.

In Studio City there is Mark's Tropical Fish. It isn't very good for coral but you can trust his livestock.

In LA there are places like Fraggle Reef that I have heard great things about but haven't been able to make an appointment yet.

Moving South (and West)...I like Age of Aquariums in Signal Hill. They also have some great display tanks and carry a bit more equipment

Farther South (and back inland) - there are three stores in a relatively close radius that make for a great way to spend the afternoon.

Southern California Tropical Fish Outlet (i.e. - Tom's) Fullerton - has the best selection of equipment of any store I know of in Southern Cal. He is also setting up three new coral tanks and usually has some good fish, especially a large clown selection.

The Fish Collection - Yorba Linda, I think - He has a huge selection of LPS and the most Maxi-minis I have seen anywhere.

Amazing Aquariums and Reefs in Orange (Ali's) - He probably has the best selection of high end stuff anywhere. His tanks are pristine and his LPS is amazing. He also carries some really nice fish. It is a small store but full of eye candy.

I am sure there are more I don't know about but that should be enough to empty your wallet :)

You're welcome. Let us know what you buy.

That's my problem, I have no idea, yet. My only experience is related to freshwater:

Few days ago, I got a 50 gal corner glass tank & stand for $50. I also have a 250 watt aquamedic MH and eheim internal filter that i could use for this tank. I'm planning to start-up the tank after the 15th of this month. So, I'm looking and reading as much as I can.

Northern Enlighted

Ive been using Vivid for about 5 years now. While I dont live in the LA area and never have been in their store, their mail order is second to none! I have spent over $1000 in stock at their store in that time and every single piece of coral, or fish (except for one green chromis) arrived alive, healthy, and strived for years at my home.

I recommend Vivid Aquariums 21126 Vanowen St, Canoga Park, CA 91303

That could be a sweet set up. I would look into the possibility of adding a sump before you get it set up. I can almost guarantee you will wish you had one down the road. You will get some ideas at Vivid and see how their tanks are set up.

I guess it depends what you are looking for...

On the north end of that area (San Fernando) I don't think there is anything that beats Vivid Aquariums. Their prices are a bit high on some pieces but they have really nice stuff and the display tank is worth the trip.

In Studio City there is Mark's Tropical Fish. It isn't very good for coral but you can trust his livestock.

These are both GREAT places...VIVID for corals...no one can beat 'em in the area.

I have known Mark in Studio City for 20+ years, I was the head chef of a restaurant

next door to him back in 1989. I have been going to his shop ever since.

He is a cool guy and he almost lost his store, both his parents and wife passed in 2009.

He will deal with ya and he has the best reef food!

BUT in ARLETA there is RAINBOW on Woodman. This is a VERY nice store,

a jewel that not a lot of people know about I have found.

Awesome system, great fish, dry goods and great prices, but their corals are sometimes limited.

But their system in 100% clean and so is their stock, I have known the owners for about 10 years.

just throw a rock. compared to most cities, there's no such thing as a bad LFS in LA, and they're everywhere.

I agree, for the most part. I have seen some pretty bad stores here, Korea Town, South Central...

...their out there. :wacko:

It mostly matters what the person is looking to buy, fish, dry goods, LPS, SPS, etc.

Knowing the stock and prices of these stores saves a lot of runnin' around.

just throw a rock. compared to most cities, there's no such thing as a bad LFS in LA, and they're everywhere.

You might be right. The past few days I visited Aquarium City and Underwater Depot. Since I don't know anything about saltwater I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't look right to me especially at Aquarium City.

Last night I checked Vivid's site for 1h or so. I'm looking fwd to visiting their store.

You might be right. The past few days I visited Aquarium City and Underwater Depot. Since I don't know anything about saltwater I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't look right to me especially at Aquarium City.

Last night I checked Vivid's site for 1h or so. I'm looking fwd to visiting their store.

Since I have been out of the business for a while now,

I don't have the time/need to go to so many different stores...

Aquarium City and Underwater Depot I don't go to any more.

These stores have gone through many changes, like the hobby itself.

As goes the economy, so does this hobby.

I could not afford to keep my store open, but this was 1995...

of course getting robbed with a shot gun to my face and finding out

many other businesses around me also got robbed some what frequently, kinda helped me get out.

My friend here in Burbank, who owns Millenium Pets on Victory, bought Scales 'n Tales Olive/Verdugo)

about 18 months ago I think and he has good prices, especially on dry goods, over flows etc.

Fish are decent but the corals are pretty much non existent there.

I get my SW there and he has very cool reptiles and FW stuff as well.

Handy for me cause he is very close.

edit: oh ya, at VIVID you will NOT be disappointing at ALL....worth the drive from wherever! :wub:

All my corals, half my fish and all my LED's are from Vivid...take your credit card...or not!!!hahaha

My friend here in Burbank, who owns Millenium Pets on Victory, bought Scales 'n Tales Olive/Verdugo)

about 18 months ago I think and he has good prices, especially on dry goods, over flows etc.

Fish are decent but the corals are pretty much non existent there.

I get my SW there and he has very cool reptiles and FW stuff as well.

Handy for me cause he is very close.

I've been there but I don't remember much.

edit: oh ya, at VIVID you will NOT be disappointing at ALL....worth the drive from wherever! :wub:

All my corals, half my fish and all my LED's are from Vivid...take your credit card...or not!!!hahaha

It's 5-10 min away from work and 20-30 min from home :)

That could be a sweet set up. I would look into the possibility of adding a sump before you get it set up. I can almost guarantee you will wish you had one down the road. You will get some ideas at Vivid and see how their tanks are set up.

I got ideas but my budget doesn't allow it. I hope you are not right about "you will wish you had one down the road". ;)

I got ideas but my budget doesn't allow it. I hope you are not right about "you will wish you had one down the road". ;)

You could actually put a sump together for a 50g for pretty cheap. How much room do you have in your stand?

You could actually put a sump together for a 50g for pretty cheap. How much room do you have in your stand?

It's 13(W)x27(H)x15-20(D). It's an open back design...

• 4 weeks later...

Neptune's is pretty bad. Their fish selection isn't that great and their little coral tank in the middle of the store is filled with flatworms. FLATWORMS.

Slight threadjack, but in the same theme... could people also recommend places in the Inland Empire area? LA is a bit of a hike for me.

Neptune's is pretty bad. Their fish selection isn't that great and their little coral tank in the middle of the store is filled with flatworms. FLATWORMS.

Really? Last time I was there They got saltwater fish twice a week and had two coral tanks. I do have to admit it has been sometime though. :(

My last visit there was probably in November. I've been there a couple of times and I've only made two purchases. One was a green ricordia maybe 2-3 years ago and an algae scraper magnet.

Archived