Cultivated Reef

GHA Round ... I quit counting

Trogdor447

It is almost non existant anymore, there is a few patches here and there.. I am unable to get to some of them near the anemone.

I was wondering.. Instead of doing a full lights out period or anything of this nature..

Could I run a setup like this without killing George (my nem)?

2 days light

1 day (NO LIGHT)

2 days light

1 day (NO LIGHT) .... etc until the GHA is gone

This has been a battle for the last 3 months.. I have taken out lbs of this SH@# and continued religious water changes, sometimes 2 maybe 3 times a week. I changed my bulbs to brand new ATI Blue + bulbs. Minimal feeding, and changing a sponge after feeding (to pick up any loose particles) The algae is in little spots here and there, and clumps in a few different places(hard to pick at).

I think at this stage of the game, the GHA is only surviving based on feeding off of the LIGHTS.

0 ppm Nitrate/Phosphate, Using Distilled Walmart Water ~380-400 ppm Calcium

I would almost flip the cycle around and do 2 days off, one day on. Monitor the nem for issues while doing it. Or spotlight the nem with a desk lamp?

EDIT: Ohhh.....some are near him....well.....no spotlight then. Good luck.

I wonder if adding a refugium to your system would help as you would be using cheato to compete for the nutrients vs your gha.

Fight fire with fire ;-)

P.S. Storms in the ocean might cut pretty much any good light for days at a time. So keep telling yourself that when keeping the lights off....

I wonder if adding a refugium to your system would help as you would be using cheato to compete for the nutrients vs your gha.

Fight fire with fire ;-)

GRR fire with fire is right.. i'm out of desk space, as the Freshwater sits on top of my dresser, and the salt water takes the side of it... i put it too close to the wall not knowing this possibility, the closet door is close.. if i had a refugium hanging off the side, the girlfriend would surely find a way to make it destroyed... next thought is a sump refugium of sorts!

and i just have my chaeto hanging in a bag.. i got it for free from the LFS.. i figure its worth a shot in hell, its been in there for almost 3 weeks and it is growing!

P.S. Storms in the ocean might cut pretty much any good light for days at a time. So keep telling yourself that when keeping the lights off....

I know.. I try this all the time, but I hate playing the hand of the almighty!

Understood fw fellow.

Give it time and you'le probably see the cheato competing nicely against the gha, to the extent that the gha dissapears, you can help speed up the process by plucking and sucking that gha during normal waterchanges.

Time is on your side.

Archived