Cultivated Reef

Themadreefer's Craigslist special! BOOO-YA!

ThemadReefer

So I was super bored one night and I was looking around the pets section of craigslist for fish equipment to buy for my 72 bow that's up and running now in the living room (thread to come on that in the "large reefs section) and have been thinking about a smaller AIO system for my bedroom.

So long story short i came across an ad that said: " reef tank.....300 bucks" and I was like: "yea right!!" who in there right mind would sell a reef tank for that!!

there were no pictures so i called the guy and asked him about the tank and why he was selling it so cheap. He said it was a 30 long that had been drilled in the back with a durso standpipe setup and a loc-line return,custom cedar stand, custom canopy top, mag 3 return pump, current sundial 4 bulb T5HO lighting, custom made 10 gallon refugium, an aqua-c urchin skimmer with a maxi jet 1200 pump, 40 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of live sand, some coral, a CUC, 2 fish, and more extra, salt, test kits, refractometer, etc!!

It turns out he's moving to Hawaii in a month and has to sell the tank ASAP!!

so I went over to his house to have a look cause this sounded WAYYY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!

I took one look......and paid him on the spot....going to pick it up from him tomorrow! (Friday)

all for $300 BUCKS!!!! :happydance: :happydance: omgomgomg

SCORE!!!

So like I said the tank hasent been cared for too well BUT it has a whole LOT of potential!!

this is what it looks like NOW at his house.....THERE'S WORK TO BE DONE!!

get-attachmentaspx-3.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

get-attachmentaspx-4.jpg

get-attachmentaspx-5.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Ill be updating this thread tomorrow after i get it home, clean it up, and re-arrange it a bit and get some fresh new water in it with some Chemi-pure elite ASAP!!

what do you guys think??? NOT too bad for 300 bucks huh!!?? :D

that is a nice deal.....

So I see some macro algae in there and a lps or two I think. What corals does he have in there?

Does he just have that one tomato clown?

Good luck with the move to your house and yes I would like to see more pictures.

Hopefully there is no nuissance algae in there or other crap that's annoying to get out at times.

You going to keep that cover on the top of the tank?

that is a nice deal.....

So I see some macro algae in there and a lps or two I think. What corals does he have in there?

Does he just have that one tomato clown?

Good luck with the move to your house and yes I would like to see more pictures.

Hopefully there is no nuissance algae in there or other crap that's annoying to get out at times.

You going to keep that cover on the top of the tank?

he's got basic stuff like xenia, GSP, and a few other things.....but as i said it needs to be cleaned WELL and it needs a WC and some new scaping badly!!

I would love to keep the canopy on there as I do think it looks great BUT i'm gonna have to see about it temp wise in the summer months

MORE PICS TOMORROW!!

Sorry i didn't get a chance to update last night.....ran into a couple of snags but i'll post what i've done thus far

Got the tank here from Long Island.....(about and hour's drive) safely and got it upstairs with everything...

I put the fish in a separate bucket and put a heater and a powerhead in there just so they'd be comfortable

IMG_0985.jpg

and then the live rock and corals

IMG_0984.jpg

The stand looks great....all cedar...the inside where the sump fits is a bit tight but not too bad....it doesn't seem as though the tank was watertight at all!! the plumbing was leaking everywhere and the inside of the stand was pretty stained.....going to paint that black to keep any further damage from occuring and to just make it look nicer than it does now

IMG_0986.jpg

he was using 1 inch tubing both in and out.....the only issue with this is you dont get enough drainage and b/c the return pump is a mag-3 you getting a LOT of head loss....ordered a 1 and a half inch flexible drain line and brought the return side down to 1/2 inch

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

took the live rock out of the tub and laid it all out

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

cleaned up the light

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

leveled the tank out, put everything back together and started scaping!!

IMG_0990.jpg

and here's the finished product as of yesterday...still needs to clear a bit....will post new pics today or tonight again!!

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

still a LOT to be done!!

PLEASE COMMENT!!

thanks

Very nice score, I have been finding great deals on craigslist lately. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

thanks....I just tested my ammonia and to my surprise it's about 0.50!!! WTF???

could this be from the move?? the sand bed was jostled around a bit!!

hope it's only temporary.....everything looks fine so far

Current FTS... i might do a bit of re-scaping when the tank settles down a bit

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

and the sump

IMG_1012.jpg

and a couple of corals he threw in with the tank

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

UP next....buying a new R/O D/I some supplies from marine depot, and a couple of more fish and A sH*t ton MORE CORAL!!! :naughtydance:

looks good nice find. try bulk reef supply they have slightly better prices than MD

thanks I will.....just dealing with some serious aiptasia issues right now!! got a pair of peppermint shrimp and some aiptasia X!!

Thats a hell of a deal, I search CL constantly out of boredom and post the deals I find on a local forum. Like a 90 with some INSANELY AWESOME dimensions with light and sump for under $300.

Looking good! I am feeling the scape!

Thats a hell of a deal, I search CL constantly out of boredom and post the deals I find on a local forum. Like a 90 with some INSANELY AWESOME dimensions with light and sump for under $300.

Looking good! I am feeling the scape!

THANKS!!

yea i'm lovin it....now i'm just waging war on aiptasia anemones......aiptasia X, lemon juice, and more syringes that a crack den!!

• 2 weeks later...

ur using the original sand? that'll have an affect on the ammonia -- and the fact that the live rock was out of water too.

thats a pretty sweet tank tho!

ur using the original sand? that'll have an affect on the ammonia -- and the fact that the live rock was out of water too.

thats a pretty sweet tank tho!

ammonia issue has settled down and back to 0PPM

Nice deal.. and cool tomato clown :)

he's a prick!! LOL even though there's no nem in there (yet) he will attack my arm whenever I stick it in there just b/c he thinks i'm threatening his territory

QUICK UPDATE!!

I ordered a bunch of goodies from the good doctors and are awaiting there arrival

ALSO went a bit nuts and got 21 frags from mrcoral.com!!

will post pics within the next couple of days!!

• 2 months later...

Archived