inTank Media Baskets

Calcium hardness high

jpieka19

hi!, im a new member. Im about to add my live rock and corals this weekend and I just tested my specific gravity, phosphate, nitrate, and calcium. Suprisingly they are all fantastic considering I used tap water which everyone seems to give me devils cross fingers when I tell them....anyways, Its all good except the calcium hardness. Its at about 220ppm and its suppose to be at around 89-125 ppm. My question is would this level off if I put my live rock and coral in? the only other thing I found was adding seltzer water. is this correct?

hi!, im a new member. Im about to add my live rock and corals this weekend and I just tested my specific gravity, phosphate, nitrate, and calcium. Suprisingly they are all fantastic considering I used tap water which everyone seems to give me devils cross fingers when I tell them....anyways, Its all good except the calcium hardness. Its at about 220ppm and its suppose to be at around 89-125 ppm. My question is would this level off if I put my live rock and coral in? the only other thing I found was adding seltzer water. is this correct?

u use tap water for a reef tank? well you can then burn the money right away you want to spend for the corals....saves you the trip to the LFS.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

take a look what the levels should be. Reef keeping isn't like going to wall mart and buying candy by the way. you need first a RO/DI unit, or get some RO water....worst case would be to use distiled water. But no way tap.

"its suppose to be at around 89-125 ppm." where the hell did you get that one???

Are you referring to carbonate hardness aka alkalinity?

If so 220ppm is almost 13 dkh which is very high....it's most likely because the tap water already has a significant dkh which you are in turn adding your salt mix to.

Measure the dkh of your tap water....my guess is you'll see alk readings greater than zero.

Archived