Innovative Marine Aquariums

Live Rock Petco

grkxiotis11

Anyone ever order live rock from petco?

Its a lot cheaper than liveaquaria.com, and petsolutions.com.

Any other suggestions for cheap live rock places?

Anyone ever order live rock from petco?

Its a lot cheaper than liveaquaria.com, and petsolutions.com.

Any other suggestions for cheap live rock places?

I'd suggest starting off with dead rock, and seeding it with a nice live rock from a fellow reefer. It's a lot safer that way.

PetCo's rock looks like wet base rock. Waste of money, IMO. (I've never heard of Walt Smith.. not saying he's a bad guy, but I don't know him ;) )

Find a good LFS with real LR or order from somewhere that does free shipping (i.e. saltwaterfish.com). Depending on where you live, shipping around this time of year, in the cold, might not be a good idea.

PetCo's rock looks like wet base rock. Waste of money, IMO. (I've never heard of Walt Smith.. not saying he's a bad guy, but I don't know him ;) )

Find a good LFS with real LR or order from somewhere that does free shipping (i.e. saltwaterfish.com). Depending on where you live, shipping around this time of year, in the cold, might not be a good idea.

Waltsmith.com Dude!! Just one of the oldest suppliers of Fiji LR. I've seen worse LR in some top notch LFS.

Bet you call saltwaterfish.com and ask them where they get there Premium Fiji LR and they will tell you it comes from WaltSmith. Go ahead call'em prove me wrong! B)

I have some LR from petco and honestly it was better than my LFS (granted there are only two near my house and the one closest to me is the worst). If you only needed a few lbs go to the store and hand pick it, I don't think I would order a large quantity from them.

My local PetCo has two saltwater systems that are very clean. Over 75% of my rock and livestock came from there. I would be hesitant to order online from them however as I never have. It probably would ship from the same facilities that ship to the stores. If that is the case you may get a good deal. I have a lot of free hitchhikers in my tank from PetCo liverock. 95% good stuff like emerald crabs, dwarf feather dusters, montipora, and various other inverts and corals. I may try an order soon. I did buy some dry rock from BRS and was very happy with that purchase too. I don't have too many SPS, mostly LPS. I do quarantine the live rock before adding toy display tanks.

I've bought all my LR from Petco, because it's close by and you know it's been in there awhile (cured). Also, it's usually pretty cheap.

Funktastic Wint
I've bought all my LR from Petco, because it's close by and you know it's been in there awhile (cured). Also, it's usually pretty cheap.

i wouldnt buy anything from petco unless it was in a box with plastic shrink wrap around it. :)

I think I'm just going with bulkreefsupply.com dead rock...

And I'll seed with some nice live rock from the pet store...

I don't trust petco either thats why I was wondering what other reefers had to say...I'll be putting up some pics once i get the rocks...

i wouldnt buy anything from petco unless it was in a box with plastic shrink wrap around it. :)

It all depends on the local Petco IMO. I have three within 15 minutes of my house. One of them has one of the most beautiful saltwater tanks I've ever seen, the other two have tanks riddled with algae and dead fish.

I bought my live rock from my local Petco. Mostly because it is the only fish store in my general area and I did not want to order live rock online because all of the sites that I looked at sold them in bulk of at least 25lbs and my tank is only six gallons. I after two days I did not see an ammonia spike in my tank and the fish guy I talked to about it said that when the rock arrives they scrub off every thing that is dead and all of the hitchhikers. It seemed that at least at this Petco they cater to people who do not want to wait to cycle their new tank.

Everything turned out alright in the end because the first animal that I put in is doing quite well. She has molted at least twice in three and a half months and I even saw her yesterday investigating the new animal that I was acclimating.

I got my the reef saver base rock from reefbulksupply.com and i loved it. Tell them what kind of shapes and the size you want and it was perfect. Also easy to stack. Pretty cheap running at (i think) $2.40 a lb. Then all you need is a few pounds of live rock.

Its been a month for me running 22 lbs base rock and 7 lbs of live rock. I already have corralline algae growing all over the base rock. I think it's neat watching life grow on white rocks!!!

You get what you pay for (crap).

Your statement implys that petco's rock should be cheaper than most LFSs... which I don't think is the case.

Archived