Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PM? please take a look

20,000geeksUNDERtheSEA

20,000geeksUNDERtheSEA

I had a pretty drastic salinity change from 1.025 to 1.021, this is what happens when you make the biggest mistake every and do a water change with freshwater only. When your stupid, your whole tank suffers. Any how, this couldn't of happened at a better time because I just got this clam. I'm not really sure if it looks different, or if my worrisome mind is just getting the best of me. Everything in the tank seems fine, and the clam is very responsive and fully opened, just wanted to check with everyone to see if the mantel looked like it had PM or any other issues... thanks

post-49795-1296694343_thumb.jpg

post-49795-1296694369_thumb.jpg

post-49795-1296694385_thumb.jpg

20,000geeksUNDERtheSEA

Thanks, sorry If I'm being paranoid, the clam wasn't cheap and it is beautiful so I'd like to do everything in my power to keep it alive and healthy.

I realize that PM is not caused by hypo-salinity, although I was under the impression that stress could lead to a weakened immune system, therefore making it more vulnerable to protozoans attacking.

Any way thanks again for the input and piece of mind, and my apologies if I'm taking up too much space in the clam discussion forum, just trying to learn and contribute for myself and others who might be interested in the subject.

not at all...please dont think i was annoyed......just wanted you to learn a bit...that's why i posted the article.....i learn something new every day about this hobby and i've been doing this since i was 6 with my dad

asking questions is the only way to learn.....that's how we all started....you are no exception

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I have a clam that i think is not high enough in the light. (par of 170). It seems happy and has sufficiently glues itself to the rock its on and I cannot move him or the rock he is on. Is there anyway to get him unstuck?

sure there is but if the clam wasnt getting enough light he wouldn't be as comfortable as he is in that spot and wouldn't have attached himself there

BUT

if you do want to move him get a straight edge razor blade and VERY CAREFULLY cut the byssal threads....they will look like transparent threads CUT ONLY THESE!! NOT THE FOOT ITSELF!!

the clam should come loose very easily BUT you do risk stressing the animal by moving him from a spot he's apparently very comfortable with

Archived