Pod Your Reef

On Solana moved ATO from 3rd chamber to 2nd chamber

seldin

I just got a new skimmer which does not fit in the 2nd chamber based on my setup, so I moved the skimmer to the 3rd changer and moved my ATO to the 2nd chamber that was originally placed in the 3rd chamber.

I can see advantages on using the ATO in the 2nd chamber, because that is where the overflow box is. I had removed the overflow pad, because sometimes the 2nd chamber would get clogged and water fresh ATO water coming into the 3rd chamber could flood the main sections. I am thinking now that ATO is in 2nd chamber, that this would not happen.

Your thoughts...

Thank you,

- Larry

How do you have your return pump? How does the skimmer fit in the 3rd chamber with the return pump? I have a Solana and my set-up is like this. 1st chamber: Tunze Skimmer, Pump for GFO Reactor under skimmer. 2nd chamber: Filter Floss, open, Live Rock in the bottom. 3rd chamber: Return Pump, ATO sensors and return lines from the Reactor and ATO. I looked at putting th sensors for the ATO in the second chamber but could figure it out with the little ledges for the trays, so I left them in the 3rd chamber.

I am awaiting a few parts for my Tunze Osmolator and will be placing it in the 3rd chamber with the return pump. Is there an issue having it in this chamber?

Before I removed the overflow filter pad, I had several floods because my ATO was in the 3rd chamber and it would not rise ( which is good), however, the display tank, would sometimes get the overflow area to clog and water would still pump into the tank, even though the 3rd chamber was fine.

Thinking about this, though, I think with the ATO in the first chamber, I could still get the clogged problem, because there is no sensor in the display tank...

Any thoughts. That's the reason, I took out the filter pad in the overflow area. I cleaned it, but sometimes, it would still get clogged.

Thanks,

- Larry

I have yet to have the filter in the return/overflow get clogged. I have read that having the sensors in the second chamber is the best place to have them but I cannot figure out how to put them there. I guess the water is controlled by the second chamber. Like I said I have mine in the 3rd chamber and it works for me. I just added a Tunze pump and I am playing with that to get the flow right. The water level in the tank is higher with the new pump and I am trying to figure out why. I think its because the pump puts out more than the stock pump. My sensors are the ones on the bracket, if they were magnets, you could probably put them where you want.

Archived