ReefCleaners.org

Tank

rrs

Hey all!

I'm Ryan... Used to be big into the hobby when I was a teenager. Can't stay out of it any longer. Need...nano...

Going to be doing planning/build updates on my dream DIY system I'm calling "Tank" here.

Warning: This project is not easy on the wallet!

It all starts with a drawing...

Tank1.jpeg

...and a few initial ideas:

• artisian woods
  • intelligent LED lighting
  • cord minimization

I'm breaking all of the rules...

...This is a love story.

qwiksilver711
Hey all!

I'm Ryan... Used to be big into the hobby when I was a teenager. Can't stay out of it any longer. Need...nano...

Going to be doing planning/build updates on my dream DIY system I'm calling "Tank" here.

Warning: This project is not easy on the wallet!

It all starts with a drawing...

Tank1.jpeg

...and a few initial ideas:

• artisian woods
  • intelligent LED lighting
  • cord minimization

I'm breaking all of the rules...

...This is a love story.

looks biocubeesque

Bending glass is hard. Buying bent glass is easy.

Purchased this kit:

fluvalBox.jpg

Tucked these away:

fluvalCrap.jpg

I am left with this glasswork:

fluvalTank.jpg

Next episode: Acquiring lighting bits...

Purchased:

• 2x TRC-040S070DS Thomas Research Drivers from Nanotuners
  • 24x CREE XR-E LEDs (12 cool white, 12 royal blue) from RapidLED
  • 1 10"x8" extruded aluminum heat sink from HeatsinkUSA

LED layout:

Note: Color arrangement has not yet been finalized and I plan on tweaking this.

10x8.gif

The dark grey area on the heat sink will be reserved for mounting and whatnot.

Tank is ~8gal. 12" square bottom profile, 14" high I think. Fixture will be ~3" and 2" above the tank. Just thought about putting in 24 in case I want to repurpose the fixture, may do less and keep some for spares. Also not running these at rated current, just going for good coverage. The drivers are only 700 max mA.

24 LEDs?

How big is this tank going to be anyways?

The NanoCustoms LED assembly for the Fluval Edge (a 6 gallon tank that is I think only 8 inches deep) has 18 LEDs and is mounted extremely close to the water level. I can hardly think that 24 is entirely inappropriate using the exact same drivers on a tank that is 7 inches higher, two additional gallons and where the fixture is mounted a few inches above the waterline.

Any thoughts?

OVERKILL if you ask me...I have 26 leds for my bc29 and I had to dim it down a bit. I would say around 12 leds for your tank would be sufficient

Did some concept modeling in SolidWorks. No mechanics yet for how the top is removed or whether or not it pivots on a hinge. Trying to remove some material from the back to account for filtration and hoses.

Should give you a good idea of what I'm going for. Thinking about having the top be some type of speaker screen or aluminum screen to help with heat dissipation.

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

Tank3.jpg

Great renders.

I also agree that you have far more LEDs than needed. For example I have 26 on a 36" long tank that's 20 gallons and I have to run them VERY dim.

You're going to be running yours at like...15% or you'll probably bleach everything

Otherwise this looks great.

whoa there!! the 3.6 fixture that nano-tuners has on their site uses edison LED's, not Cree. I didn't look up the specs exactly but i know that they are not nearly as powerful as cree. You could probably do the amount of leds your saying with the edisons but iono about cree's.

I will be reducing the LED count to either 12 or 16 due to the overwhelming consensus. Thanks all for looking out for me.

Here's a quick photo update on the parts and pieces that have arrived so far:

Just received the LED drivers from NanoTuners today:

ledParts.jpg

Also pictured is the beautiful heat sink I had custom cut (10"x8") and the LEDs and optics from RapidLED.

Here is what $140 worth of Wenge looks like, it is about $20 a board-foot:

wenge.jpg

I will be updating when design is complete and the build begins!

looking forward to the finished project. this would be a cool desk tank, where are you putting it???

expensive wood... measure five times cut once haha

Archived