Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RK lite?

sefrayser

I have a RKL and I would like to add the PH probe. Do I need any module or is it plug and play? I also have the older software on my RKL. I have apple computers. I just got my daughter a windows computer and I can download the new program. Is the new program worth me downloading it?

I have a RKL and I would like to add the PH probe. Do I need any module or is it plug and play? I also have the older software on my RKL. I have apple computers. I just got my daughter a windows computer and I can download the new program. Is the new program worth me downloading it?

To update you might have to upgrade your SID. It depends on what version you have. To add a PH probe you will need a SL1 or a SL2.

To update you might have to upgrade your SID. It depends on what version you have. To add a PH probe you will need a SL1 or a SL2.

sl1 or sl2. if it was me i would go with the sl2. ph probe is isolated not on the sl1. which means a greater propensity for voltage to mess with the probe on the sl1

TheNorthernLight
SID????

It's either :

the little black box with a mini-usb port on one side, and a rj-11 jack on the otherside,

or it's a small device that looks like a USB stick with a phone cable out the other.

It's the device you use to flash/upgrade the firmware on all the RK devices (head unit, powerbars, SLx).

I have a thing that looks like a thumb drive, is that what need to be reprogrammed? What is the newest firmware? Is it basically plug and play to program my unit?

gulfsurfer101

This is another reason that deters me from dropping the 5 bills on the new rke. I'm afraid I'll have so much control over my reef that I will not know how to harness such power.

I have a thing that looks like a thumb drive, is that what need to be reprogrammed? What is the newest firmware? Is it basically plug and play to program my unit?

I suggest you go to the digital aquatics support forum and read up. They list all the current firmware and how to update it.

FYI...It can be a bit tricky the first time you try to do it.

TheNorthernLight

If your compfortable with computers it's not that hard, if your scared of your keyboard, then get a young family member to do it! LOL.

The one you have is the newer v2 SID, so you don't need to mail it in. You might need to update it's firmware first though... not sure.

Is it worth doing? What will I gain by updating it? I have it set-up and everything is working. If there is a gain I will do it, but if there isnt I will leave it alone.

TheNorthernLight

The only real thing you want to do is check your actual current firmware version, which I thought you could do through the head unit (on the display)... but I can't seem to find it now.

Realistically, if your controller is doing everything as expected, I wouldn't worry about it. Some firmware updates are for module specific functionality, which may not affect you.

The only time you really need to worry about it, is if a feature your using isn't working as documented/expected, and support from DA tells you that you need to upgrade to the latest firmware, other then that... no need.

Archived