Top Shelf Aquatics

BTA Question

jam77

I have had my rose bubble tip anemone for a month now and he has always stayed in this one spot . Today he is moving around quite a bit and nothing has changed to the flow or lighting . Can this be normal ? Should I shut down the power head when I go to bed this evening to make sure he doesn't get into it ?

Tank age and test readings? I'm not sure I understand the relevance of those to this question. He didn't state that his BTA was unhealthy.

To answer your question: It could be moving somewhere to split. Mine split within the first month I had it, and then hasn't split since (7 years). If the PH isn't your only source of circulation then yes I'd turn it off. In my experience, once they settle into a spot they will only move when going to split.

The bta is still healthy I just thought it was odd thats all but he settled in a crevice kind of under a ledge. The tank is about 8 months old with live rock from another tank that was about a year old. It has metal halide lighting and near perfect parameters except for a little bit of nitrate that I just cant get to zero but it's between 2-5 ppm just can't ever get it to zero .

You should cover the powerhead regardless if the nem is currently moving around or not. Either plastic mesh or pre filters work well depending on what type of ph you're using.

He hasn't moved since relocating under a ledge and positioning his foot in a crevice so I'm hoping that he's happy again. I was up most of the night listening to our wonderful blizzard and hoping the power didn't go out and he's stayed put .

I think a mp10 is next on my list since they make those neat filters that slip over them. Helps me justify the 200 bucks lol

northstar1357

they can move for many reasons, especially when other fish or inverts are bothering it such as cleaner shrimp, they tend to poke at nem for food when your feed your nem causing nem to move

My cleaner shrimp is a pain in the butt if we kicks the bucket I'm def done with shrimp they poach food from all the corals. I have a piece of plastic tubing that i have to chase him off with when I feed

Tank age and test readings? I'm not sure I understand the relevance of those to this question. He didn't state that his BTA was unhealthy.

He didnt state that it was healthy either. When people ask for help details are usually needed to pinoint a problem. If it was new tank he still could be cycling. Even if it was a few months old many reefers recommend adding nems to a established stable system.

OP they move if they need more/less light or flow and if they are not being feed enough.

good reading

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

Archived