Pod Your Reef

My Heater Failed Big Temp drop

tk3445

i live in central NY where the current temp outside is around 5 degree and the temp inside is around 65degrees needless to say when my heater failed this morning or last night sometime... My temp dropped off to around 65 degrees...

I have a 12 Gallon Nanocube that is about 1 year old

Live Stock:

2 clowns

4 nassarius snails

5 astrea snails

2 scarlet reef hermits

Corals:

Pulsing Xenia

Zoas

Mushrooms

Green Tipped Torch Coral

I bought a new heater at walmart before work this morning at 7am and the temp is back to 77-79 degrees and holding steady until i can get a better heater this is what i have to work with....When i got home the corals still loook shrunken and sickly... the only coral that looks unaffected are the Zoas... what is the next step to try to remedy this issue I will be online Watching this Thread closly for the next hour or so if i forgot any information....

Thanks,

Tom

Honestly, I think you will be ok. The temps you reported are no worse than what livestock will experience when going through shipping.

Post back with results in a few days.

Hopfully everything will be good as of this morning everything still looks in bad shape except for the Zoas and the Mushrooms look to be doing better... as far as the Xenia and the Torch nothing has changed but they havn't started falling off their rocks either....

Is there anything i should be dosing for the corals or the fish at this point ? should my lighting stay on the same schedule? should i continues feeding as normal?

UPDATE! everything came back to life since i have been dosing garlic in the fish food... and some iodine and nano code a and nano code b(i have never dosed prior to this... but my LFS suggested dosing those 2 things and adding the garlic to the food for a little while) and sure enough everything is doing great.

Thanks for all the input people,

Tom

Not to be a downer, but did the LFS sell that stuff to you? I really doubt it all came back because of garlic - with a temp swing, it just takes time, and a return to normal temps.

you shouldnt have a problem. everything is just pissed thats all. i would order a new heater asap though. my 300w lasted less than 2 months before it died.

Not to be a downer, but did the LFS sell that stuff to you? I really doubt it all came back because of garlic - with a temp swing, it just takes time, and a return to normal temps.

+1 you just pissed everything off by chilling it. It just took some time for everything to come back around. I wouldn't dose anything else. Make sure you watch your parameters since it sounds like you went nuts with all the supplements.

Everything the LFS sold you was a waste of money, but I am glad to hear everything is doing fine. Most people don't dose Iodine anymore, but if you do, definitely be careful with the amount in a tank that small.

• 2 weeks later...

the iodine seems to be making my xenia grow like mad idk maybe it is me... i have been meaning to start dosing somthing to help lvls anyways because i change water every saturday and before the water change my calcium is always below 200 usually 100-150 range nano A should be helping there. also my dkh floats between 7-8 so nanocode b should boost that up i havn't been testing or dosing daily i only dose on wednesdays and sundays. and test on saturdays a couple hours after my water change.

as far as the garlic saving the corals i don't believe that for a second i think that is used as more of a preventive measure to keep the clowns eating and prevent the possibility of ich. if i remember what i was told correctly.

to me the $35 i spent on supplements could have been a waste but i would much rather spend $35 then to have to replace livestock any day of the week...

thanks for all the responses,

Tom

Archived