ReefCleaners.org

anemone for nano tank

~LadyBug~

how big is it? its always really risky when when you put nems in your tank and if you were to put any in a tank make sure its not a carpet. i have a rose bubble tip in a 26 gallon and its hosting 2 clowns perfectly

Rock Flower Anemone, mini carpet anemone, maxi-mini carpet anemone. But a clown will not host these. You're could try a large frogspawn.

I kept a rock flower in my 12G AP for 2 years until I upgraded. They are what I would recommend as once they attach they never move. Plus, they don't require a ton of light and actually prefer shady overhangs.

how big is it? its always really risky when when you put nems in your tank and if you were to put any in a tank make sure its not a carpet. i have a rose bubble tip in a 26 gallon and its hosting 2 clowns perfectly

6 gallons. it would be the nem and the clownfish and not much else in the tank.

Rock Flower Anemone, mini carpet anemone, maxi-mini carpet anemone. But a clown will not host these. You're could try a large frogspawn.

I kept a rock flower in my 12G AP for 2 years until I upgraded. They are what I would recommend as once they attach they never move. Plus, they don't require a ton of light and actually prefer shady overhangs.

cool, thanks!

About the only thing you could keep easily is a few mini mini carpet anemones. They won't hurt your clown and they can tolerate lower lighting and still look good. All the other anemones have fairly high light requirements. Unless your nano came with stellar lights.

I wouldn't recommend it you have lighting issues and all nems that host clowns get way to big for a 6 gal tank. Not to mention if you feed the nem occasionally, which you would with out better lights the Bioload will be hard on the system. Get a Goby and a Goby Shrimp. Just as interesting relationship as a nem and Clown with out the hassles.

Without a doubt bubble anemones are my favorite. They don't require high amounts of lighting or water flow and their tentacles are not nearly as aggressive. Clowns and other anemone hosting animals will host them like they are regular anemones.

You don't want a white BTA - that means it's expelled its zooxanthellae and is on its way out unless you feed it a lot and keep it under good light, after which it can regain its color - I've nursed several back from being white. I think a BTA is fine in a 6g - don't know the specs on the stock lighting, I would recommend t5ho, but you can in theory keep a brown BTA under PC. My BTA's tend to stay smaller under high light (in terms of diameter, not per se total biomass) and bigger in the more shady spots - YMMV.

All that said, I would be more worried about keeping a clown - one full-sized percula or ocellaris is still a lot of fish for 6g. I think sexy shrimp or porcelain anemone crab would be a better anemone partner.

• 2 years later...

Man - I have that JBJ 6 gallon w an AI Nano light. My anemone was doing great for a couple months, and then he just turtles up and balled up. I'm not sure if I got too much light, not enough light or WHAT. The max 6 hour setting on my AI NANO is W - 25%, BL - 35%, RY BL - 35%. Anyone familiar w the JBJ 6. Gal/AI Nano light know if that's too little? I'm goin nuts trying to figure it out.

Archived