What's your water changing method?

Wasabi

How does everyone change their water? Are you using a pump to pull it out and then a pump to put water back in? I am going to rely heavily on water changes on my 13.3G tank and am looking for the easiest, least messy, time consuming way.

Thanks.

How does everyone change their water? Are you using a pump to pull it out and then a pump to put water back in? I am going to rely heavily on water changes on my 13.3G tank and am looking for the easiest, least messy, time consuming way.

Thanks.

I keep a about 25g of saltwater ready at all times with a powerhead and heater to the same temp and S.G. as my tanks.When ready I pump from the vat into jugs I have for this purpose (2.5g and a 5g). Then I turn off all pumps, turkey baste every surface and nook and cranny I can get to, then siphon out the amount I want to change.Then I simply replace the water by pouring from the jugs into a large glass container I have and let it rise to the top and spill over into the tank to disperse the flow.The corals get a little "surge action" that way.During water changes is a good time to do such things as change the floss and / or other media, scrape the glass, clean the protein skimmer, clean up salt creep etc.

...after the display is handled by gravity (detritus, rock dust etc.)

...pump out of the sump.

Then gravity back into the sump.

But you don't run a sump, or do ya?

...after the display is handled by gravity (detritus, rock dust etc.)

...pump out of the sump.

Then gravity back into the sump.

But you don't run a sump, or do ya?

If you have a sump that does change things...I was assuming you had an AGA or AIO? With an AIO its a good idea to siphon out those back chambers on occasion too.

i change water every 4 or 5 days

i mix just under 3 cups of salt in a 5 gallon bucket full of water. place a maxijet 900 in there and let it mix for however it takes to clear up for the most part. not long usually about 30 min. i sypen the crap from the tanks and take out 5 gallons of water. i turn off my power strip with the pumps on it and take a few feet of 1/2 id hose and slip it on the end of the maxi jet and throw the other end in the sump and let it pump it in there.

i usually drain the skimmer cup and run it under hot water.

my 500 watt heater in the sump heats the water fast enough for me. when its not so cold ill turn the return pump on. i do the old finger test or if i have my multimeter handy ill actually check the temp but im lazy and hardly have it near by. my tanks run at 82 degrees but i have no problems kicking the pump on in the mid 70's. it only takes a little while for the tank temp to stabilize in the hight 70's once it mixes with the tanks water.

my tanks are in the basement and so is the 2nd computer. i make lots of loud noises so the wife thinks im actually doing fish crap but in reality im playing games on my computer. once i take down 4 or 5 beers and the kids are a sleep ill come up stairs and grab some more beer, complain about how much work it is to keep fish and go back down stairs.

i change water every 4 or 5 days

my tanks are in the basement and so is the 2nd computer. i make lots of loud noises so the wife thinks im actually doing fish crap but in reality im playing games on my computer. once i take down 4 or 5 beers and the kids are a sleep ill come up stairs and grab some more beer, complain about how much work it is to keep fish and go back down stairs.

:D my laugh for the day haha

I have two 5g buckets. One for mixing and one for emptying. I usually let the saltwater mix overnight. I turn off everything in the tank and use a turkey baster to blast the rocks. I plug a spare MJ1200, with hose attached, into a surge protector and after sticking the pump into the tank, I flip the switch on the surge protector. On my emptying bucket, I have marks for each gallon. Pump old water into empty bucket and flip the switch when the desired level is removed. Place pump into freshly mixed saltwater and hose into tank and flip switch again to pump fresh water into the tank. To change 4g, it takes about 2-3 minutes.

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry this setup is a rimless, sumpleas Mr Aqua 13.3g bowfront. What are you siphoning with?

I'm old school.....you can use any hoses you have laying around or go to Home Depot and buy like a 6ft length so you have plenty....then just stick it in the tank and use the other end like a straw to get the siphon started....just be careful because a mouthful of saltwater is not good!

I'm old school.....you can use any hoses you have laying around or go to Home Depot and buy like a 6ft length so you have plenty....then just stick it in the tank and use the other end like a straw to get the siphon started....just be careful because a mouthful of saltwater is not good!

...ive dont 3 water changes on my tank so far and have gotten salt water in my mouth 3 times... i have a pretty bad record thus far haha -_-

umm you dont have to suck on it to start the syphen, and if you do you just need tour head lower than the tanks rim. once you see water over the tank rim stop sucking, gravity does the rest.

but back to starting without sucking you just pinch off the hose about halfway down so that its lower than the tank, place the sypen in the water to fill it, tip it up out of the water and loosen your pinch on the tube so that the air starts getting pushed from the tube. when you start running out of water in the end of the syoehn you dunk it again in the tank just making sure the open end is up so air bubbles do go into the sypen, once all the bubbles are gone you stop pinching. it seems complicated but takes seriously 10 seconds to do and doesnt mess up your beer taste.

go forward to about the 4:30 mark and he does it here. its an old trick im surprised not many else know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyx9IB2-yQ8...feature=channel

Archived