inTank Media Baskets

Zoa vs. Sps

Aqua fire/medic

Aqua fire/medic

So here is my question..... I have several frags of various sps encrusted on my live rock, and one of my zoa colonies is growing very close to one of the frags. Will the zoas just grow around the encrusted part of my sps, or will they try and grow over it?

If the sps is healthy it will probably try to overgrow the zoas. I had a green encrusting monti over grow a colony of zoas in a couple of months.

Aqua fire/medic
If the sps is healthy it will probably try to overgrow the zoas. I had a green encrusting monti over grow a colony of zoas in a couple of months.

Well the sps is an acro... It is very healthy, colorful, and growing.... But what I'm wondering is if the zoas will try to grow over or on the sps where it is attached to the rock?

If they try to occupy the same space they will have a bit of a tussle, someone will emerge the victor. I'm not sure who generally wins with Acro vs Zoa, tho as it hasn't happened (yet) in my tank. Once the zoa's mat touches the flesh on the acro the acro will know it's being impeded on and should in some way try to defend itself, and vice versa.

Aqua fire/medic
If they try to occupy the same space they will have a bit of a tussle, someone will emerge the victor. I'm not sure who generally wins with Acro vs Zoa, tho as it hasn't happened (yet) in my tank. Once the zoa's mat touches the flesh on the acro the acro will know it's being impeded on and should in some way try to defend itself, and vice versa.

So.... By defend you mean sting? Or chemicals? Should I attempt to stop the zoas? They have about 3/4" before they collide.

qwiksilver711
So.... By defend you mean sting? Or chemicals? Should I attempt to stop the zoas? They have about 3/4" before they collide.

you could try to frag them back and relocate... or let it be a true ecosystem and let nature take its course

Aqua fire/medic

If you click my sig. And look at the last photo on pg.2 , you can see what I'm talking about.... It's the gorilla nipples on the top..... I was hoping they would just grow around eachother... If they do battle it out will this affect any of my other corals?

I laughedd at this idea...

Let nature take it's course.... in your man made environment

lol

I always get a chuckle when people say that.

In nature - these corals would be nowhere near each other (uneducated assumption).

Edit: To OP - running carbon will help negate any effects of the chemical warfare on your other corals.

This is something I would like to know as it's something I will prob run into in my 10 gallon. I know in my tank the mushroom doesn't like my maxi mini anemone right next to it but the mushroom was a hitchhiker anyway. No one like the brow hydroids, one bad rock I just need to replace.

Archived