Cultivated Reef

Decorator crab?

Blackbird

IMG_8041.jpg

So I caught this little guy in one of my tanks. I assume he's a decorator crab. :lol: Is he reef safe? I mean, he seems to just kind of be sitting around the whole day (I actually only discovered him because I was looking what a gsp "frag" was doing so close to my Tubastrea...

Anyway, the gsp seemed happy enough (it was open) - until i took the crab out of the tank, of course...

He's so cute... :happy:

But I read somewhere that decorators can be pretty disastrous to a tank, 'cause they keep tearing the corals up to "decorate" themselves?

On another note... if you tell me he's not reef safe I'll finally have a good reason to set up a little tank for some camelback shrimp :wub: (and the crab, of course... ;) )...

P.S.: He looks pretty different from the other decorator crabs I googled... :huh:

Nope, definately NOT reefsafe, send it to me and Ill properly dispose of it

Naaaah. Camelback shrimp tank (and decorator crab tank, too ;) ), here I come. :D

Sides, I don't think it'd like being shipped cross continental. A long and possibly lethal journey... nah. -_-

:P;)

Without looking it up something in the back of my head says not reef safe. I should send you a chunk of my blue shine sponge to put on his back. :)

https://www.reefgardener.net/shop/product_i...roducts_id=1005

I'm starting to have more of that sponge than I know what to do with. O_O

I have lots of this one:

sponge

It's super yellow, but I think I prefer him with the frag he's got on his back now... B)

That's a cool sponge, but isn't really photosynthetic like my blue one. It is a nice one to have growing in your tank though.

My really nice one is the blue layercake, it grows a bit slower.

PC150036.jpg

CoralWhisper, just remind me when you get the maxi and I'll send you some of the blue shine sponge for free.

I've seen big decorator crabs covered with huge sponges while snokeling in the turtle grass beds locally. I guess maybe that's a caveat is they can grow pretty big. But I bet if you toss some random loose corals like zoo polyps and stuff in the tank with it, it will pick them up and put them on its back.

My globe urchins decorate themselves with anything that's not tied down. :P I put up with them because they eat some types of algae that nothing else will eat and they're pretty.

P1290053.jpg

the best stuff always comes from germany . . . cars, the shamwow, and now deco crabs!

The what now? I'll have to google it... :huh::lol:

That's a cool sponge, but isn't really photosynthetic like my blue one. It is a nice one to have growing in your tank though.

My really nice one is the blue layercake, it grows a bit slower.

PC150036.jpg

True but as far as hitchhikers go, it's a pretty nice sponge. :)

Besides, this crab is small(ish), he couldn't carry a big sponge like that. ;)

That's an awesome photo, though. :wub: Nice sponge.

Decorators are most definitely NOT reef safe. Obviously...they snip off pieces of coral and attach them to itself. I had a few that came to me as octopus food. As far as I was concerned, they could not get eaten fast enough. Unfortunately before they could get devoured, they destroyed my xenia. Yours looks quite different than mine.

100_4880.jpg

Archived