SaltCritters.com

February 2011 - Steely185

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For February we're featuring Steely185 and his 40 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Steely185's tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Steely185, and he'll try his best to answer them.

Beautiful tank1 Well done. You've got some flow in there. What mode do run your Vortech in and do you use night mode? Any noticeable benifits to night mode if you use it?

Deleted User 6

Well played. I wish I had known about algaefix for my dictyota problem a couple years ago. Eventually got it under control with emerald crabs, but a bottle of that stuff would have been easier, lol.

Beautiful tank, and congrats!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the algae fix stuff was a blessing because Dictyota was horrible. Couldn't get rid of it for the life of me. I pulled clump after after clump out with tweezers and it would grow back so quick. The stuff did the trick and wipes it out over a few weeks time. When I see some from time to time I just add some algae fix and it never gets growing again.

I mainly use the short pulse setting on the vortech at 60-80% but will change to lagoon mode every now and then just to make things more random. I do have the wireless driver for my apex but haven't programmed it. It's nice because you can change the setting and speed using the controller throughout the day. So for example 8-noon at lagoon mode 60%, noon to 5 reef crest 100%, 5-10pm short pulse 80% and 10pm - 8am lagoon mode at 40%. It's nice and I will eventually get around to using it. I don't use night mode though.

Thanks guys.

I mainly use the short pulse setting on the vortech at 60-80% but will change to lagoon mode every now and then just to make things more random. I do have the wireless driver for my apex but haven't programmed it. It's nice because you can change the setting and speed using the controller throughout the day. So for example 8-noon at lagoon mode 60%, noon to 5 reef crest 100%, 5-10pm short pulse 80% and 10pm - 8am lagoon mode at 40%. It's nice and I will eventually get around to using it. I don't use night mode though.

OK thanks. Seems like not many people use the night mode feature on the Vortechs. I'm still experimenting with mine but haven't seen any real reason to use night mode. Again, gorgeous tank!

No reason for not using it really. I did a few times when I first got the vortech.

Thats what I've been thinking. I would love to hear a reason TO use night mode? Besides the theoretical......

how did you do your kalk dosing?

I add one teaspoon per gallon of RO/DI water so roughly 5 teaspoons in 5 gallons of fresh water. The auto top off does the work. As water evaporates it replenishes it with fresh water that has kalkwasser. I don't use a kalk stirrer.

Archived