Acclimation question.

bloo

The tank I am talking about has been taken down, but this is just a question for future reference; so I don't make the same mistake for my next project.

Well anyways, you guys are supposed to help me figure out the mistake! ;)

I had a 24 AP a couple months back, and after about a month and a half, when all my parameters were good, I bought a clown and put him in there.

I acclimated him for about 25-30 minutes then put him in. He did great the first couple days, but on the third day, I go to look in the tank and he's floating around half dead. I got him in to a quarantine tank, tried to nurse him back to health, and so in-case he did die, he wouldn't mess up the tanks params completely.

About a month later, thinking it was sick when I bought it, I went out and bought a dwarf lionfish.

Acclimated him for about the same amount of time, and put him in the tank. The same thing happens to him! I know they were some NOOB moves, and cost me about $100 But my question is this, is it possible the fish died because of the short time I acclimated them for?

Most likely it isn't how long, but the method itself.

When you're acclimating fish, you're doing 3 things (in most cases):

1) acclimating temperature

2) acclimating water conditions (pH, salinity, ALK, nitrate, and all the other fun water parameters)

3) acclimating to captivity (many clowns are captive bred, but the majority of our fish are still wild caught)

Floating a bag takes care of #1... Just floating and releasing can have really bad consequences. Under no circumstances would I do this with SW fish, ever. You may be able to get away with this method for FW fish or extremely hardy beginner SW fish, but if you happen to get a specimen with any sort of problem or a sensitive species, then the effects will likely show themselves between 24 hours and 1 week of being added to the tank.

So when you acclimate, consider the 3 types and try to use a method which will cause the lease amount of stress to the new animal (that's part of #3).

its also possible that the people who caught the fish use cyanide.. which destroys the liver and causes fish not to eat and eventually die.. most times when you first get them they look fine.. but the degrade slowly over the course of a couple weeks (depending on the fish)

i usually ask if the fish were farmed, or net caught.. if they dont know.. find out who the store buys from then do some research :)

OClownsandNanos

To add to what ajmckay said, many LFS keep their SG low compared to our tanks. For instance, I know my LFS keep it at about 1.019 or so. I keep my SG at 1.026. That's a big shift which is why I drip acclimate my fish and check the SG levels while I'm doing it. As soon as they match the fish are ready to go in. It usually takes a few hours though.

If you decide to buy a fish in the future that should be one of the questions you ask your LFS. Even if you forget to ask, you can just check the bag water to see what the SG is and go from there.

BTW, I have not lost a fish yet to acclimation using this method.

CoralWhisperer

It is also a very real possibilty that the lfs water has or had something in it, be it meds or disease or whatever.

Whenever I get a new creature for my tank, whatever it may be, I make sure no water from the store gets in my tank.

Only the creature itself dictates how involved my acclimation is.

you know i may be alone here but when i ahve acclimated my 3 fish i have put just a tad of ammonia stabalizer int the water like seachum stability, i justify this becasue i really feel bad for a fish sitting in there own pee and poo filled water for 2 hours, with no circulation

thats just my 2 cents, and waht my lfs recomended for me to do

i could be wrong in doing this but it makes sence in may head!!

you know i may be alone here but when i ahve acclimated my 3 fish i have put just a tad of ammonia stabalizer int the water like seachum stability, i justify this becasue i really feel bad for a fish sitting in there own pee and poo filled water for 2 hours, with no circulation

thats just my 2 cents, and waht my lfs recomended for me to do

i could be wrong in doing this but it makes sence in may head!!

I doubt it would harm anything! I would avoid getting it into the main tank though.

Archived