Sump Sock

mener77

This is my first sump and the sock filter is getting dirty.

Should i be rinsing it weekly with my water changes or i do just replace it ever month.

You cannot wash that to often. The longer the crud sits the more it will deteriorate and cause your nitrates levels to rise. I wash my sponges out daily.

You cannot wash that to often. The longer the crud sits the more it will deteriorate and cause your nitrates levels to rise. I wash my sponges out daily.

I go until it wants to overflow which is about 5 days. Max should be around a week to remove dead stuff.

I go until it wants to overflow which is about 5 days. Max should be around a week to remove dead stuff.

same thing i do, but i toss mine in a bucket of a solution of water and some bleach and soak it. i would get a few socks and rotate them.

You cannot wash that too often. The longer the crud sits the more it will deteriorate and cause your nitrates levels to rise. I wash my sponges out daily.

I agree fully. The sooner it's out of the water, the less it breaks down.

same thing i do, but i toss mine in a bucket of a solution of water and some bleach and soak it. i would get a few socks and rotate them.

this was my method, as well. three socks - one in the sump, one in a bleach solution, and one rinsed, dried and ready to be swapped in.

this was my method, as well. three socks - one in the sump, one in a bleach solution, and one rinsed, dried and ready to be swapped in.

Thanks, Great idea. I will be picking up two more socks. :)

poly filter socks are cheap, and the risks of using wool (added protectants, running dyes, anti-microbial treatments, etc) aren't worth the risk, imo. not to mention, wool will break down pretty quickly with repeated bleach/saltwater cycles.

Archived